New Filter for cylcing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank. currently doing a fishless cycle..which is now almost 2 months in the making. I wanted to better filter vs the one that came with the kit i bought.
So- Purchased the marineland power filter penguin 200 for up to 50 gallons.

question 1: Why wont it work???? I hooked everything up the way the directions say and only get fizzy bubbles by the intake tube. biowheel not moving.

question 2: Does it matter which way the mid level intake strainer is connected.. the directions dont give a clear desciption of how it should be connected to the intake tube.

question 3: I dont want to loose beneficial bacteria so how do i minimize this with getting a new filter?

question 4: can i or should i add the old carbon filter to the new filter even though its smaller? or should i run 2 filters?

:thanks:

Are you priming the filter (pouring water into it before and during the time it's started)?

As long as you are moving every single piece of filter media from old to new there shouldn't be an issue with the beneficial bacteria.

It is a good idea though to run both filters together on the tank. That way if one were to fail you have a backup, and it also gives you the ability to instantly set up a hospital tank or QT when necessary.

2 month fishless cycle? I'd be happy to help if needed...that definitely seems like a long time frame.

yes,priming filter. then when i plug it in i just get those bubbles.
any advice?
I feel like this cycle is taking forever also... However, its prob my own fault. When i would poor in ammonia sometimes i would put in too much at it would spike to 8ppm. i dont always catch it right away ...so - maybe thats why its taking so long? however, its still cycling cuz i checked the other day...and no ammonia at all..im a rookie..what can i say..

missie said:
yes,priming filter. then when i plug it in i just get those bubbles.
any advice?
I feel like this cycle is taking forever also... However, its prob my own fault. When i would poor in ammonia sometimes i would put in too much at it would spike to 8ppm. i dont always catch it right away ...so - maybe thats why its taking so long? however, its still cycling cuz i checked the other day...and no ammonia at all..im a rookie..what can i say..

I've got a cheap filter on my QT which is a struggle to get going. I take a pitcher and continually pour tank water into it when it is first starting up. I try to fill it first, then plug it in and continue pouring the water in (takes a couple pitchers sometimes) until it starts running on it's own. Don't just let it run dry because you can burn out the motor.

Are you continually dosing up the ammo every time it drops? If you haven't seen it, check out the guide in my signature. I can try to troubleshoot it with you. You can post a quick summery for me on the guide thread if you'd like :)

Back
Top Bottom