New filter or no new filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swethog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon freshwater tank with ~25 various fish, nothing over 4" long. I have had it full of other fish over the years, depending on what interests me. I always run with two filters as I travel for up to a week at a time and do not want to lose everything because my filter died when I wasn't around. I currently have a Fluval 405 with carbon, biologic media, coarse sponge, and polish media plus a Magnum 350 with the sleeve and a 50/50 mix of Ammo Carb and Carbon. In the tank is a Powerhead 70 with two lengths of filters on it to polish the water. I bought the Magnnum 350 used about 5-6? years ago and have changed the impeller and magnet to reduce noise, but I'm guessing the canister itself must be scored because the thing is loud as all get out and I just can't take it any more.
I'm looking for input as I see my options as:
1. Buy a new Magnum 350 canister, impeller, and magnet and hope for the best. I hear a lot of people complain about noise.
2. Go with just the Fluval 405. It should be enough to handle the tank with the Powerhead in there but it it were to die when I was away, I could lose all the fish or at least have a really poor tank on arrival.
3. Get another filter. Possibly another Fluval, or try the Rena and eheims that people seem to like.

Thoughts? I just changed the media in the Magnum so I have about a month to decide, unless I go deaf and just shut it down.

Back
Top Bottom