New Filter System Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Marineland 10-gallon tank that came as part of a kit. According to their website, the included filter is the Penguin 100 power filter. This filter uses Rite-Size A filter cartridge media and a small (size unknown) Bio-Wheel.

I would like to upgrade to a better filter for the sake of cleaner water. I don't know if that means I need better filtration media, or if I need to move more water. I suspect better filtration media would be easier on the fish, though.

I'm looking to upgrade because my water is slightly hazy - not awful, but not crystal clear. It would also be great if I could skip a PWC now and then, provided the water was being cleaned well enough. Budget isn't an issue, within reason.

My needs for the new filter system are:

- Uses same filter media and Bio-Wheel so that I don't lose the beneficial bacteria that I've built up.

- It fits into the opening in the tank's hood (which means it can be up to ~ 1.5 inches wider than my current one, but not any deeper).

- It isn't noticibly louder.

I'd look into an AC20. Whatever filter you get, just rip the sponge off the existing filter media and cram it into the new filter and you won't lose the bacteria.

I'm not very familiar with aquarium equipment. What's the brand of an AC20? is it available online somewhere?

ill 2nd that aquaclear they are a great hob and allows for one of the largest option for media.

There are also cannister filters, which sit outside the tank and move water with intake and outtake hoses. They are usually a lot more costly than HOB, but worth it for larger tanks.

There are also types that hang inside the tank, sit inside the tank and what are called undergravel filters, which use gravel substrate to filter the water. There are also sponge filters that you can stick in the tank. The last two are kind of bottom of the line, and most people who use them also run other types of filters at the same time.

For a ten gallon tank, I agree with Neil and Mgamer. An AC20 is probably the best set up to fit your needs and provide excellent water quality.

Back
Top Bottom