New Filtration System Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmcclain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here, but not new to aquariums - although I admit that I'm not into the fine, fine details of aquariums... I've had a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium for about 8 years now. I have an Eclipse filtration system that uses a bio wheel with carbon cartridges. Lately, I have spent too much time maintaining the filtration system due to noise, clogs, bio-wheel problems or other problems. In addition, I'm not happy with the level of filtration (cloudy water...).

My tank right now is pretty bare (3 fish no plants), but I would like to change that by adding some plants along with getting a proper mixture of fish.

I've been reading about canister filters. Price is not a big issue, so I'm considering an Eheim 2026/2126 (w/heater). The question I'm looking for help with is whether I need any additional filtration, powerheads or a bio-wheel unit (ugh...). Any advice on any additional equipment that I should consider would be appreciated.

If you go with the 2026 you will have over 8.5 gallon an hour turn over. You will not need any additional filtering. The added bonus of a cannister if you decide to add CO2 in the future, cannisters are the perfect filter for that. Little or no surface agitation.

I think I'll go with the Eheim 2126. It looks like the $183 deal on Dr Fosters is pretty good?

Should I look for anything special in terms of the packaging? I know that one poster mentioned this elsewhere...

Go for the pack thats included with the special deal. Usually it fills the canister completely but it contains a lot of carbon pads (well mine did). So buy some more Substrat pro (re-usable) and keep the pads for removing meds from your tank.

I have 2 Eheims (2022 and 2128 pro 2 thermo) and I love em. So quiet.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom