Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New guy with a quick question

Hello, i recently bought an aquarium and have begun stocking it with a few fish. Before I bought this however I had purchased a betta fish that sat on my desk. Ive since recently moved him to the aquarium where he appears much happier--that is if I shut off the filter system. He seems to struggle with it on a bit and there is quite a bit of current running throught the tank. I have been searching for DIY ideas on how to reduce the flow on this filter as I am a college student and spending money is a luxury. I dont want to purchase a new adjustable filter and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I could be mistaken about my betta not enjoyiong the current but I have read that they are not strong swimmers and do not prefer strong currents. Im currently using an aqua-tech power filter 5-15 model in a 10 gallon tank.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wrap a thin sponge or foam around the filters strainer and use a couple rubber bands to hold it on to it.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

k thanks ill give that a try
Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Thanx but no.....

I'd rather see you find a way to divert the water coming back into the aquarium instead of restricting the intake flow.

I've seen people take a sponge or piece of PVC cut in half and attach it to the outflow. The goal being to distribute the return more horizontally instead of a str8 down flow.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the ideas. i used a small combination of both, but the main fix came with inserting some foam on the outside of the outflow. I then took a plastic cup and cut it to fit in my tank and around the output intrance, with the submerged part of the cup having holes drilled in it, thus distributing the outflow and eliminating almost all current created from the outflow. Ill upload pics later as this explanation can be a bit confusing.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com