Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New heater exploded

My brand new finnex titanium heater exploded. Ruined everything in fuge and all coral in dt are looking dead. Aquacave blamed me and said nothing they could do. Called finnex and they said oops our fault, bad silicon, send it back and we will give you a new one. It was less then a month old. I used as described in instructions.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is the suck.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige
My brand new finnex titanium heater exploded. Ruined everything in fuge and all coral in dt are looking dead. Aquacave blamed me and said nothing they could do. Called finnex and they said oops our fault, bad silicon, send it back and we will give you a new one. It was less then a month old. I used as described in instructions.
When you say "exploded" do you mean as in thousands of tiny glass shards all over the substrate that can't be cleaned up or just a crack and it shorted out from water intrusion?
Sorry about your stock loss.

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible.
Welsh Proverb
kc2ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Too bad about the heater. Good part is that they're going to cover it and replace it. Do you run carbon? Might be a good time to stick some in just in case something got in to the tank that shouldn't be there.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It exploded into 3 large parts and hundreds of little parts. It was in the fuge so clean up wasnt too bad. Water stinks like burnt seafood.

Thanks rookie for reminding me. I meant to do carbon on day 1 and got wraped up in clean up.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
one time i put some live rock in my sump and accidentally crushed a glass heater underneath.
later when evening came and the temp dropped, the heater came on. i was sitting about 20 feet from the sump at the time, and all of the sudden i saw what looked like someone arc welding under water in my sump. it went on for about 5 seconds before i jumped up and pulled the plug.
the GFCI didn't even trip.
the weirdest thing was that nothing died. all the sps browned out, but later colored back up, and the xenia turned as white as paper for about a month. nothing else was effected.

sorry about your dead looking livestock. what do you consider "dead looking" btw? maybe they are just a little freaked out.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is always a good idea to test heaters in a bucket of water for a week or so after purchase to make sure they function correctly. When your new heater arrives run the test for two or three days. Any manufacturing defects should show up then. The company should have tested your equipment before offering it for sale - famous last words, eh?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My situation went down just like you mrx. Huge spark and lots of smoke. The coral are also as described. But things are looking better. Put carbon in and smell is gone. Coral are getting color back. So maybe it will be ok.

As far as testing it. I would have had to test it for a month. Thats how long it took to fail. I was equally mad that aquacave blamed me without doing any checking for themselves. I use to use them for everything. Use to.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Why would you have to test it for a month to see if it fails or not.

I figure a day or two of it cycling up and down at the most. If we all had to test our own equipment whats the point?

Personally you should slap the maker with the cost of dead livestock. They have already admitted to the heater being faulty.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldnt test it for a month. So testing at all still may not pay off. Who knows when it will fail. But the more people I talk to, the more often it seems to happen (failing that is). I wish I could send them a bill. My carpet is ruined from the burned water that over flowed from tank. It over flowed because I thought it was my sump pump breaking down. I turned flow back on and well I over flowed it.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com