New Here and looking for Suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony_Scorpio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently purchased a 125 gallon tank. I'm going to be putting some Cichlids in it. I know that I'm wanting a couple of Oscars. What other Cichlids can I mix with them?
I'm also wanting some filtration suggestions. It came with a under gravel filter and some power heads, also a bio wheel filter. Should I do away with either or both filters and go with something better? From reading I see that under gravel filters are a thing of the past. Can anyone recommend a set-up that is reasonably priced, but still more than adequate for my application?
I'm planning on trying to make my own 3d background. Any suggestions or warnings would be great appreciated.

I wouldn't put oscars in with small cichlids. With that size tank you can have a nice Malawi setup. Or also sell or give away that undergravel filter and use sand. Buy a fluval fx5 with that hob and ur tank will be spotless. They are cheapest on amazon.

A FX5 is the best filter for the money and does a great job. With oscars you could add 1 or 2 AC 110's to help with filtration. A FX5 is rated for a lot bigger tank than a 125 but for circulation and aeration the 110 helps out alot on a 6 ft tank. I would not get more that 2 oscars and there are alot of different cichlids you can add, it might be trial and error at first because they all have different attitudes and it is hard to tell how they will act. Just dont get tempted to buy too many young cichlids for a 125 unless you plan on expanding your tanks because your 125 will look small very quick.

There are some smaller cichlids that can hold there own like salvini , convicts, pikes, severum, nicaraguen , viejas, firemouth, freddys, motaguense , some might even bully oscars even though they are smaller , you never know unless you try I guess.

Back
Top Bottom