New Here. Question about RO Unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReeferZach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I'm fairly new to the site and have been reading tons + the articles trying to learn as much as I can about salt water aquariums.

Years ago, i had fresh water aquariums as a kid that were fairly successful back when I didn't know anything. But now that im older and its 15 years later I now at least realize i still don't know anything. :)

I do know enough to list in my post, I will not cycle a tank with live fish. since that seems to be a standard greeting from some of the moderators. :wink:

I have a 28 gallon tank that is 30x12x18.

I plan on stocking it with :
1 False Percula
1 Yellowhead Jawfish

I am going to try and start gradually and from what I can tell so far, its a good idea to have some type of reverse osmosis unit.

I was wondering if the link below is good enough and will get the job done and also if you all have any other suggestions. Such as a cheaper one with cheaper membranes and filters that is still good? Is there a recommended stage level to use for salt water aquariums? Because i noticed some of the lesser stage ones were cheaper.

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=RO-Countertop-1

Thanks!

Zach

$249 for an RO only water filter system is a bit expensive. RO only filters will filter out some but not all of the potentially bad stuff found in tap/well water.

RO/DI filters filter out all of the bad stuff and you can find them on Ebay for around $100-$150 shipped. (bold is a link)

Since you’re new to keeping a SW tank then checkout my "Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank" post that has all the equipment listed that you will need and maintenance tips to help you enjoy your SW tank. It's a long read but will help answer all the basic questions.

More helpful info:

If looking for cheap live rock checkout intmarinefish.com or exoticfish.com which has lr for as little as $3-$4 per lb shipped.

Couple of more places with quality lr:
www.liverocknreef.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.tampabaysaltwater.com

For base rock checkout Marco's base rock. You can buy mostly base rock and seed with 30%-50% live rock and it will all look "live" within a year or so and be biologically live (house bacteria) within a couple of months.

Using base rock/live rock of 1.5+ lbs per gal will provide a home for beneficial bacteria and along with a quality skimmer is all you need for bio-filtration.

Post on feeding requirements of SW fish.

Once you get your equipment/stock filling out your button by updating your button (scroll about half way) will help provide the necessary equipment list and fish/inverts so people can better answer any questions you might have in the future. Also while in the profile screen if you want to see signatures you have to check it as it's off by default.

To quickly search the posts you have made I would bookmark your egosearch.

Ask tons of questions if you're not sure about the "next step" in keeping a SW tank.

You can go to ebay and get a good RO/DI unit for less than a hundred dollars. The one you have there is definitely not as good and twice the price.

Wow. Thanks so much guys. Im glad i asked about it here. Thats going to save me a lot of money. :)

I am new to using ebay. And I was looking at the 6 stage unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-6st-10...1QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do these come with everything you need and are these difficult to install?

I currently live in an apartment and might be moving in about 15 months from now so I would want to be able to return everything back to the way it was. Do you think this would be a problem? Thanks!

Zach

Do you have a washer/dryer in the apartment to hook it up to? If not get the kitchen sink adapter. The washer hookup is going to give you better pressure though.

It came with all the filters and 1 set of replacements. The directions weren't that great and I ended up paying a plumber to install mine. Micah, the plumber said something about having to put in a (something) in case of a back up, if I were to do it on the washer line. Some kind of back something, sorry, I can't remember the name....

tecwzrd said:
Do you have a washer/dryer in the apartment to hook it up to? If not get the kitchen sink adapter. The washer hookup is going to give you better pressure though.

I do but its outside and kind of out of the way. For the kitchen sink adaptor is this the same thing? > Parts-1:(Option B) Feed Water Device: 2 x Chrome 15/16" Tee with 1/4" Ball Valve##

roka64 said:
It came with all the filters and 1 set of replacements. The directions weren't that great and I ended up paying a plumber to install mine. Micah, the plumber said something about having to put in a (something) in case of a back up, if I were to do it on the washer line. Some kind of back something, sorry, I can't remember the name....

Yeah it sounds like I may be getting over my head here. Im not much of a plumber. How much did that run you if i may ask?

It was $93 an hour and I think it took them 2.5 hours...heck when I tried, I still had most of the stuff in the bags after two hours...lol!

haha. wow. not sure what i should do now then. maybe wait until im out of the apartment into a house. if it took me 10 hours to install, i'd still be willing to do it. just not sure if i am capable of doing it.

updated reply :

tecwzrd, or anyone else who knows this.....

does this kitchen sink adaptor you mention allow you to install the unit with virtually no installation??

In other words, just attach to sink outlet and thats it?? I dont mind having the unit sit on the counter if i have to. :p

ReeferZach said:
For the kitchen sink adaptor is this the same thing? > Parts-1:(Option B) Feed Water Device: 2 x Chrome 15/16" Tee with 1/4" Ball Valve##
With most of them you can remove the threaded cap and attach the ro/di adapter with the ball valve. Assuming you have a standard faucet (which most apartments do) and not a fancy faucet with a non-standard threaded cap at the end.

If you don't have a standard threaded faucet you can also get a shut off tee adapter and plumb it to that. Link is more just to show as an example and you can find all of those parts cheaper at a hardware/plumbing store.

i see. thank you for your help. looking at that, im beginning to understand it better now.

Back
Top Bottom