new life spectrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What raw/organic/natural foods are you talking about?

There is not much grain in NLS. The only less than ideal ingredients are only the minimal needed for them to be a pelletized foods. Without any binders you would get a nutritious powder in every jar.

What enzymes are you saying are needed? Fish make their own enzymes, they don't need them supplemented in the diet.

They don't need supplementation with NLS. Mbunas don't need lettuce or zucchini. Piscivores don't need extra frozen or fresh fish. It simply isn't needed. If you haven't read the nutrition article on NLS's I suggest you do. It is long and I do think he takes a little liberty in what he claims on a couple things, but overall it is dead on. You are not feeding an herbivore, piscivore, algivore, etc. You are feeding all the cells of a fish. The nutritional requirements do not vary much at all from one type of fish to the next. The thing that does change is their digestive system and the food it is naturally adapted to. But if the ingredients in a food are easy enough to digest (like they are in NLS) then you don't need to vary what you feed from one type of fish to another.

I do want to point out that NLS's formula doesn't really change from one food to the next. The few differences that there are are as follows: Regular NLS is the same as the goldfish formula, cichlid formula, etc. The Grow formula has extra protein, fat, etc. for growing fish that adults should not get. The Thera+A has enough extra garlic to actually kill some parasites, and even help prevent most health problems in general (along with high water quality).

It is not just people who unquestionably like NLS. Almost everyone who has posted has used a lot of other foods and in the end (at least so far) NLS has proven to be the best. It is not a scientist's claim (I don't know what scientist you are talking about). It is aquarists' experiences that are most valuable to the hobby, and that is exactly what supports NLS as being the best out there at this point.

Keep in mind that it is effectively impossible for us as hobbyists to truly simulate a natural diet. We don't really know what all they eat. We don't know what proportions they get it in, etc. Feeding lettuce to an herbivorous fish is certainly not a natural diet, it is just as unnatural as feeding pellets.

What raw/organic/natural foods are you talking about?

There is not much grain in NLS. The only less than ideal ingredients are only the minimal needed for them to be a pelletized foods. Without any binders you would get a nutritious powder in every jar.

What enzymes are you saying are needed? Fish make their own enzymes, they don't need them supplemented in the diet.

They don't need supplementation with NLS. Mbunas don't need lettuce or zucchini. Piscivores don't need extra frozen or fresh fish. It simply isn't needed. If you haven't read the nutrition article on NLS's I suggest you do. It is long and I do think he takes a little liberty in what he claims on a couple things, but overall it is dead on. You are not feeding an herbivore, piscivore, algivore, etc. You are feeding all the cells of a fish. The nutritional requirements do not vary much at all from one type of fish to the next. The thing that does change is their digestive system and the food it is naturally adapted to. But if the ingredients in a food are easy enough to digest (like they are in NLS) then you don't need to vary what you feed from one type of fish to another.

I do want to point out that NLS's formula doesn't really change from one food to the next. The few differences that there are are as follows: Regular NLS is the same as the goldfish formula, cichlid formula, etc. The Grow formula has extra protein, fat, etc. for growing fish that adults should not get. The Thera+A has enough extra garlic to actually kill some parasites, and even help prevent most health problems in general (along with high water quality).

It is not just people who unquestionably like NLS. Almost everyone who has posted has used a lot of other foods and in the end (at least so far) NLS has proven to be the best. It is not a scientist's claim (I don't know what scientist you are talking about). It is aquarists' experiences that are most valuable to the hobby, and that is exactly what supports NLS as being the best out there at this point.

Keep in mind that it is effectively impossible for us as hobbyists to truly simulate a natural diet. We don't really know what all they eat. We don't know what proportions they get it in, etc. Feeding lettuce to an herbivorous fish is certainly not a natural diet, it is just as unnatural as feeding pellets.
Here. here.

look at n.l.s ingredients again, do they seem like a fish would be eating most of that? no, but if i fed the same stuff, but fresh, not processed with preservatives...would be better.

You still haven't answered the questions. What enzymes are you feeding? What raw, fresh foods are you feeding?

The only preservative in NLS is in the fish meals as required by law. Otherwise you would end up with a rancid container of rotting food.

You have access to whole, fresh krill, herring etc.? You have access to all those supplements for micronutrients, vitamins, and trace elements and could feed the right amounts in the right proportions?

What are you currently feeding your fish?

what? fish MEAL IS NOT A PRESERVATIVE! enzymes are what is in raw , uncooked food. fish meal is what you find in 'tetra' food(AND MANY OTHERS), i dont have fishmeal ever in what i buy...preservatives are-inositol tacopherol, ethoxyquin....not meal- that is fish ground up into a pellet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enzymes are biological catalysts or assistants. Enzymes consist of various types of proteins that work to drive the chemical reaction required for a specific action or nutrient. Enzymes can either launch a reaction or speed it up. The chemicals that are transformed with the help of enzymes are called substrates. In the absence of enzymes, these chemicals are called reactants

Who are you talking to? Your posts don't make sense sometimes, you may want to quote what you are responding to so we can understand it better.

Enzymes are made by an organism. They make it on their own as a bioological process, just like all the other proteins in the body. They do not need to get enzymes from outside sources (diet). So I still don't understand what the issue is with enzymes that you keep bringing up.

In some foods meals are the scraps from food animals after the meat that we (humans) eat is removed. The leftovers (bones, internal organs, heads, fins, etc.) are ground up and added to non-human foods (fish foods, dog foods, etc.). NLS only uses whole animals for their meals. Federal law requires any meals entering the U.S. to contain ethoxyquin. The ethoxyquin in NLS is only from the meals, as required by law. NLS does NOT add it to their food directly, they simply admit it is there.

I am still interested in what all you are currently feeding your fish.

I think doogle interpreted this:
"The only preservative in NLS is in the fish meals as required by law."
To mean that you were saying the meal is a preservative.
I think the additional clarification you gave on that was helpful. ;)
The root questions in the recent posts seem to be:
- Is it wise to use the "whole" food animal (ground into meal)?
- How can one truly balance the diet as well as the food companies do, if one is buying all fresh ingredients independently?

Hopefully that helps! I am interested in this as a total novice. :)

you dont make sense sometimes either ....i told you before omega one supper veggie, hikari, omega one tropical, omgea one kelp flakes, omega one veggie rounds, romaine, green seawead, zuchinni, shrimp, bloodworms, mussell and snails for gsp. here we go, again. i had the understanding that raw food has good enzymes in it, thats all... well my omega one says 'whole herring', 'whole halibut', etc...

There are 2,727 fishguys.

Yes, thankfully Omega One does have whole meal ingredients as well. It also has artificial colors and other unwanted ingredients. It is definitely one of the better foods out there, but not the best. If you do try NLS do not just add it to the mix. NLS should be the only thing fed, period. If not then you will still have no idea what the results are.

No, an organism makes its own enzymes, otherwise it would die. I am not a raw foodist, but that doesn't mean there are not some benefits of raw food. I would be happy to read any info you have on it though.

These days with all the food options out there, the best by far in my opinion and experience is NLS. I suggest other people try to see if it is for them as well. This means truly trying it. Not adding it to a mix, not feeding it for ten days. Feed it exclusively for at least three months and see if you don't see any improvements. Even then the real improvements are long term. Fish will live longest, stay the healthiest, and truly thrive long term on the best diet.

I just ordered some NLS Thera A from Amore Pet Shop. I think I found a good price. Small pellet 150g was $7.99. Both Jumbo and Medium 300g were $11.99. Shipping was $9.99.
If there is a better deal out there please share.

I tried NLS, the pellets stink and many fish won't touch it, some will. There's also the bit about finding the right pellet size for your fish. If you get too big your fish won't be able to eat it and too small, it will just get lost in the substrate. You can't open up the container and it's difficult to see from the outside.

Is it the best ? hard to say, all fish food manufacturers think their brand is the best. Personally I find the time true tested fish flakes offer as much nutrients as these pellets. The fish go wild for flakes, why mess with a good thing. Some will get bored giving only flakes, newsflash, it's not about you, it's about what the fish like and they love fish flakes.

The fish love freeze dried "anything" too, I think any of the food products will make your fish happy. The important thing is how much of it you feed them. Pick one and stick with it, consistency trumps variety.

Back
Top Bottom