Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Freak

How would you even determine a fish has developed food allergies??

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenatronQT3.14159 View Post
Dogs and fish are completely different animals. There's a whole slew of things dogs shouldn't eat. For example: feeding plecos avocado. Avocado is bad for dogs. You really can't compare.
Off topic but I heard only American avocados are bad for dogs. I think 'Avoderm' uses avocados from... can't remember the name.... like Chile or somewhere.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Activist

IMO

Up until now I've been feeding my mbunas mostly blanched veggies because I was worried about the comparitively high amount of protein in NLS. Thanks to alot of you guys on here I recently made the switch and have to say I've seen positive results.

As stated earlier, making your own food and giving your fish a variety of different foods involves a lot of guess work. NLS is a combination of the best ingredients, so it's not really like you're feeding them the same thing everyday, but more like you're feeding them a predetermined variety of foods, that has already been measured out and tested by people who probably know alot more than you do about it.

I do think that this forum is probably forming 'groupthink' on the subject though, by having so many people jump on the bandwagon. We need more articles / facts.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalanarchy View Post
I do think that this forum is probably forming 'groupthink' on the subject though, by having so many people jump on the bandwagon. We need more articles / facts.
All forums are subject to groupthink and bandwagon jumping. What I find interesting is how each forum has their topics where this is pervasive.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have to say i am now a firm believer in nls. about 3 weeks ago i got some to feed to my oscars just to see what all the hype was about. At first i was not convinced. On the fist feeding they actualy didnt even want it they just kept waiting to the normal floating pelets they where used to getting (omega one). So i gave them what they wanted. Then after a few days i decided to try it again. This time i was persistant and after a day or 2 they realized to chase it down. Then i noticed them being a bit more frantice at feeding time. So i stuck with it. They have been eating only nls for 2 weeks now and i can tell a larg difference imo. There color is alot better. My albinos are showing there bright orange more than ever and my big tiger has always been bright but his markings actualy seem like they are perfectly painted on. Plus they seem so much more active.
So i am on the band wagon sign me up.
I am not trashing the other 2 major pelets i think there great (omega and haikari) but there not nls. I even bought the 1mm pelets for my comunity tank.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:54 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalanarchy View Post
IMO

Up until now I've been feeding my mbunas mostly blanched veggies because I was worried about the comparitively high amount of protein in NLS. Thanks to alot of you guys on here I recently made the switch and have to say I've seen positive results.

As stated earlier, making your own food and giving your fish a variety of different foods involves a lot of guess work. NLS is a combination of the best ingredients, so it's not really like you're feeding them the same thing everyday, but more like you're feeding them a predetermined variety of foods, that has already been measured out and tested by people who probably know alot more than you do about it.

We actually have some facts. All of us who have switched to the NLS for our particular type of fish, have all seen positive and healthy changes in our fish, that is fact. It may not be scientific, but it is an observed fact.
I observed that NLS Grow did wonders for my younger Mbunas. Weeks before I read the posts by all the OP that had been using other types of NLS.
The things that have been said just supported my observations and confirmed what I already knew.
How many articles or studies will it take to say that NLS is the best food on the market today, legitimate fact?
People from all over the country and some from other countries are getting the same results. And it doesn't matter if it's the NLS Grow or Cichlid, or their community blend. The observed results have all been the same.
It's not really a band wagon as much as it is simply a sharing of another fish keeping experience.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I decided to only feed NLS for the time being, and I can already see the results. The fish are still picky at times, but I only drop in one pellet/granule at a time, and if they won't take it they get no more for a few hours. I always remove the uneaten food with a turkey baster too.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 AM   #108

awesome...thank you all,for your observations, i am not a hater.(want the best)t... like i said, omega one and hikari are great foods, and hikari bio has garlic in it... i am mostly wanting this for community and mbuna/malawi cichlids... i cant find it locally...anyway allergies have noticable side effects like dry skin or hair loss in mammals...not sure with fish, just saying... there is a difference between what is natural, AND the newest fancy feast/weight watcher/science diet type foods...i am very concerned with my pets diet, and i see good results so far with adding organic foods..not just the next new brand that is the best...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #109

beleive me... i would rather feed one type of food... if it has better results than natural food and organic food that i am supplementing with my high quality food i am feeding now. becausae it would be easier than (*guessing like you say.)
Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #110

It is not new and fancy. It has been out for at least ten years or so. Many people are just now finding out about it because they do very little advertising. There is so much hype about it though that it actually scares some people away from it thinking it is way too good to be true. The thing it is not. It really is as good as fish food gets these days. I can't wait for something better to come along.

Has everyone read the article on their site and watched the video? Anyone see stingrays loving it, moorish idols living for years on it, etc.? This is not just another good food, it is truly above and well beyond anything else out there.

If Hikari Bio-Gold has garlic in it then it is probably very little just so they can put it on the label. Many companies do things like that when a buzzword pops up. As long as they can put 'Now contains garlic' on the front, even if it is effectively nothing in the food, people will buy it. Notice how all human foods now are full of fiber and have no trans fat?

Tags
spec, spectrum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com