Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
With NLS the meals are the whole animals, not the scraps after being stripped of meat for human consumption like most other pet foods.

I would feed NLS exclusively, you will get better results that way. Variety is not a necessity from a nutritional point of view. What is important is a complete and balanced diet, which is hard to find. Variety is the usual method of getting to this main goal though. And in a way a proper food will be exactly that, a variety of foods (ingredients) mixed together to create an ideal diet. If you read through all the info on NLS's site there is some good information (but some liberty with some of the claims IMO). If you take the best food out there (whether it is NLS or not) and mix in other good foods that are not as good the overall diet is not as good.

I would be extremely surprised if you cut out the variety and fed NLS exclusively and didn't see an improvement somehow.
I'll try it for sure. What do you think of Seachem's "Entice"?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #12

The only two garlics I have found to truly be effective for killing parasites are fresh garlic and NLS's Thera+A.

If you are just wanting to flavor it though (for getting things to start eating foods they don't usually) I first suggest NLS Thera+A, and then almost any of the garlic additives should be fine. I haven't used Seachem's from what I remember.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #13

i wouldnt want cereal everyday
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
With NLS the meals are the whole animals, not the scraps after being stripped of meat for human consumption like most other pet foods.

I would feed NLS exclusively, you will get better results that way. Variety is not a necessity from a nutritional point of view. What is important is a complete and balanced diet, which is hard to find. Variety is the usual method of getting to this main goal though. And in a way a proper food will be exactly that, a variety of foods (ingredients) mixed together to create an ideal diet. If you read through all the info on NLS's site there is some good information (but some liberty with some of the claims IMO). If you take the best food out there (whether it is NLS or not) and mix in other good foods that are not as good the overall diet is not as good.

I would be extremely surprised if you cut out the variety and fed NLS exclusively and didn't see an improvement somehow.
I agree 100%. My fish get NLS exclusively. Excellent points made.

The only fish I couldn't get to eat was the BGK. But every other fish does and loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
i wouldnt want cereal everyday
It's a good thing you don't rely on someone to feed you
Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #15

i will look into getting some, i am about to run low on my omega one tropical flake, what would you suggest for a n.l.s. replacement for that?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #16

one thing i like about frozen food is i watch them eat it and there is never rotting food in a corner .
Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thera A. It comes in different sizes. 0.5 mm is for small fish, 1 mm is for small fish, 2 mm is for medium fish and 3 mm is for big fish. For a community tank, 0.5 or 1 mm would be fine.

There shouldn't ever be rotting food in the tank. Maybe you should get some snails.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #18

You must have a PERFECT tank. Not the case, flake is the only thing i find in my cichlid tank and it is very little(excrement is always swept into filters), I take care of my issues, with a gravel vac. Lately I have added more rock and its more difficult to clean so I am taking more caution into what goes in my tank and wont get eaten. There will be no snails or anything else going into that tank, because I think it is perfect. Nitrates are nearing 20ppm, time for a little waterchange...i have pictures of my cichlid tank in my albums.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:35 AM   #19
Fish R friends, not food!

I feed my cichlids exclusively NLS 1mm and they love it. If it gets to the bottom of the tank, even the plecos and clown loaches eat it.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy1 View Post
There shouldn't ever be rotting food in the tank. Maybe you should get some snails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
You must have a PERFECT tank.
Yeah, they are kept in tip top shape. Overfiltration and snails keep the tanks clean. There's no reason for them to not be perfect

Tags
spec, spectrum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com