new life spectrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dogs and fish are completely different animals. There's a whole slew of things dogs shouldn't eat. For example: feeding plecos avocado. Avocado is bad for dogs. You really can't compare.

Off topic but I heard only American avocados are bad for dogs. I think 'Avoderm' uses avocados from... can't remember the name.... like Chile or somewhere.

IMO

Up until now I've been feeding my mbunas mostly blanched veggies because I was worried about the comparitively high amount of protein in NLS. Thanks to alot of you guys on here I recently made the switch and have to say I've seen positive results.

As stated earlier, making your own food and giving your fish a variety of different foods involves a lot of guess work. NLS is a combination of the best ingredients, so it's not really like you're feeding them the same thing everyday, but more like you're feeding them a predetermined variety of foods, that has already been measured out and tested by people who probably know alot more than you do about it.

I do think that this forum is probably forming 'groupthink' on the subject though, by having so many people jump on the bandwagon. We need more articles / facts.

I do think that this forum is probably forming 'groupthink' on the subject though, by having so many people jump on the bandwagon. We need more articles / facts.

All forums are subject to groupthink and bandwagon jumping. What I find interesting is how each forum has their topics where this is pervasive.

I have to say i am now a firm believer in nls. about 3 weeks ago i got some to feed to my oscars just to see what all the hype was about. At first i was not convinced. On the fist feeding they actualy didnt even want it they just kept waiting to the normal floating pelets they where used to getting (omega one). So i gave them what they wanted. Then after a few days i decided to try it again. This time i was persistant and after a day or 2 they realized to chase it down. Then i noticed them being a bit more frantice at feeding time. So i stuck with it. They have been eating only nls for 2 weeks now and i can tell a larg difference imo. There color is alot better. My albinos are showing there bright orange more than ever and my big tiger has always been bright but his markings actualy seem like they are perfectly painted on. Plus they seem so much more active.
So i am on the band wagon sign me up.
I am not trashing the other 2 major pelets i think there great (omega and haikari) but there not nls. I even bought the 1mm pelets for my comunity tank.

IMO

Up until now I've been feeding my mbunas mostly blanched veggies because I was worried about the comparitively high amount of protein in NLS. Thanks to alot of you guys on here I recently made the switch and have to say I've seen positive results.

As stated earlier, making your own food and giving your fish a variety of different foods involves a lot of guess work. NLS is a combination of the best ingredients, so it's not really like you're feeding them the same thing everyday, but more like you're feeding them a predetermined variety of foods, that has already been measured out and tested by people who probably know alot more than you do about it.

We actually have some facts. All of us who have switched to the NLS for our particular type of fish, have all seen positive and healthy changes in our fish, that is fact. It may not be scientific, but it is an observed fact.
I observed that NLS Grow did wonders for my younger Mbunas. Weeks before I read the posts by all the OP that had been using other types of NLS.
The things that have been said just supported my observations and confirmed what I already knew.
How many articles or studies will it take to say that NLS is the best food on the market today, legitimate fact?
People from all over the country and some from other countries are getting the same results. And it doesn't matter if it's the NLS Grow or Cichlid, or their community blend. The observed results have all been the same.
It's not really a band wagon as much as it is simply a sharing of another fish keeping experience.

I decided to only feed NLS for the time being, and I can already see the results. The fish are still picky at times, but I only drop in one pellet/granule at a time, and if they won't take it they get no more for a few hours. I always remove the uneaten food with a turkey baster too.

awesome...thank you all,for your observations, i am not a hater.(want the best)t... like i said, omega one and hikari are great foods, and hikari bio has garlic in it... i am mostly wanting this for community and mbuna/malawi cichlids... i cant find it locally...anyway allergies have noticable side effects like dry skin or hair loss in mammals...not sure with fish, just saying... there is a difference between what is natural, AND the newest fancy feast/weight watcher/science diet type foods...i am very concerned with my pets diet, and i see good results so far with adding organic foods..not just the next new brand that is the best...

beleive me... i would rather feed one type of food... if it has better results than natural food and organic food that i am supplementing with my high quality food i am feeding now. becausae it would be easier than (*guessing like you say.)

It is not new and fancy. It has been out for at least ten years or so. Many people are just now finding out about it because they do very little advertising. There is so much hype about it though that it actually scares some people away from it thinking it is way too good to be true. The thing it is not. It really is as good as fish food gets these days. I can't wait for something better to come along.

Has everyone read the article on their site and watched the video? Anyone see stingrays loving it, moorish idols living for years on it, etc.? This is not just another good food, it is truly above and well beyond anything else out there.

If Hikari Bio-Gold has garlic in it then it is probably very little just so they can put it on the label. Many companies do things like that when a buzzword pops up. As long as they can put 'Now contains garlic' on the front, even if it is effectively nothing in the food, people will buy it. Notice how all human foods now are full of fiber and have no trans fat?

I've been reading this thread and it seams like most of those posting are using this for FW fish. Anyone using it for SW fish? I looked on the web site and it looks like they do have a SW version.

actually its like the fourth or fifth ingrediant i think
(bio-gold)...they really should advertise more(nls)...hikari is one of the top foods to compare all others by

We actually have some facts. All of us who have switched to the NLS for our particular type of fish, have all seen positive and healthy changes in our fish, that is fact. It may not be scientific, but it is an observed fact.
I observed that NLS Grow did wonders for my younger Mbunas. Weeks before I read the posts by all the OP that had been using other types of NLS.
The things that have been said just supported my observations and confirmed what I already knew.
How many articles or studies will it take to say that NLS is the best food on the market today, legitimate fact?
People from all over the country and some from other countries are getting the same results. And it doesn't matter if it's the NLS Grow or Cichlid, or their community blend. The observed results have all been the same.
It's not really a band wagon as much as it is simply a sharing of another fish keeping experience.

^ Agreed.

My concern is (and don't flame me for this) how much of these positive outcomes is a placebo effect (on us, not the fish). Overall it's the best food I've tried and I've had good experiences with it. But, I don't have personal experience with alot of the better quality foods, so at the moment my knowledge is limited to the experiences of others who have.

I just want people to keep their minds open to other foods too. It would be a shame if something better came along / is around and noone knew about it because everyones stuck on NLS. Facts are straight forward, opinions can be misleading.

The problem is that not enough people are into NLS. Their fish aren't dying on their current food and they don't believe the hype. If something comes along and proves itself better it will become known.

Seeing colors that you have never seen on your fish before after switching to NLS is not a placebo effect. Almost everyone who uses notices more color. It is hard to have a placebo effect when so many people trying it are so skeptical and don't think it will be that good. When they come on and start saying how much of a difference they saw, it is all results. I am one of those people and I know many of the others who have shared their experience are as well.

It is just as good with SW fish. It can keep moorish idols alive for years, that is the only diet I know of that can even keep them alive. I use it in my reef. My fish loved it and took to it quickly, as well as the corals. The fish at the shop did the same. It was rare that we couldn't get a SW fish to take it within a week of coming into the shop.

Hikari Cichlid Excel is more veggie based, but NLS is a lot better.

I was by far a Hikari guy before I found NLS. It is good, better than almost all other foods except NLS. I used it extensively and there is a big difference between Hikari and NLS. If you consider Hikari better the best, NLS is a few steps above it. The difference in results is just too big.

^ Agreed.

My concern is (and don't flame me for this) how much of these positive outcomes is a placebo effect (on us, not the fish). Overall it's the best food I've tried and I've had good experiences with it. But, I don't have personal experience with alot of the better quality foods, so at the moment my knowledge is limited to the experiences of others who have.

I just want people to keep their minds open to other foods too. It would be a shame if something better came along / is around and noone knew about it because everyones stuck on NLS. Facts are straight forward, opinions can be misleading.

I'm not sure how you can have someone else's placebo affect. If my fish were doing better because I was eating something different then yes I could have a placebo affect. But it's not just me thinking they look better, it's friends and family commenting on how healthy they look, and that their colors are amazing. None of them having a clue I've been feeding them NLS. Or even knowing what NLS is.
I also understand how some people have a hard time believing the hype.
So many expensive high quality foods make the same claims. They all claim that their food enhances the color of your fish and boosts the fish immune system. So you pay more, expecting more and get, nothing special.
That isn't the case with NLS. It does all that it says it will. For once the hype is true, as hard as this is to believe.
I have tried several different cichlid foods, all making the same type of claims, and got nothing. More than half the time my cichlids wouldn't even eat the stuff. They'd try it and spit it out. I had many bags and jars of food they wouldn't touch stashed away.
Then I tried NLS, not because of what I had read here. But because the FS was out of what I was feeding my fish. So I got a small jar of NLS grow for some new cichlids and WOW, 48 hrs later it was like someone turned a light on inside my fish. In a very short time the new cichlid were the same size as the others.
That was just before I joined this site. Then I saw all the OP hailing the qualities of NLS and it made me feel good about my choice to stay with NLS.
OP on AA didn't convince me to try NLS or to continue using NLS. But they made me feel good about the decision to do so.
If and when something better comes out I will try it. If it's better and my finicky fish will eat it, I'll change brands. Until then it's NLS all the way. NLS grow for my baby Angels and Danio and NLS Cichlid for my Mbunas.
When my Angels and Danio become adults, I will get what ever adult food by NLS that suits them best. NLS has a lot of different types of food.
The only thing I don't know and someone asked about is if they make a SW fish food. They may, I've never had a reason to check it out.
I am in no way affiliated with NLS, I'm just a consumer.

But it's not just me thinking they look better, it's friends and family commenting on how healthy they look, and that their colors are amazing.

I got/get that too. Friends and family are a GREAT judge of such a thing.

my thread, no flaming here...just a nuetral non affiliated observation....i wonder if the people who exclusivly use n.l.s. have any expirience with organic(fresh) food and other top quality food....or just a response from a scientist they agree with...like i have said, i will be trying it. seems to me some are a little one sided... if i try it and a couple months later if i feel it is better than the other top-o-the line foods and fresh foods i also use would be a major increase in my fishes' lives.(they have so much already... lol).. i still beleive(regardless, untill i know)adding raw and fresh food(and enzymes) is better than most manufactured food with preservatives and other fillers and crap.....nls is better alone?(i see a lot of meal in it... also good italian food and fruits and veggies... what if i want to give my mbunas romaine lettuce and extra garlic, or spirulina?.. i think it is great they have a multitude of foods for different species and reasons...there needs to be more in other mfgs, also...but saying they dont need raw enzymes and other supplements seems impossable, hard to have a processed food be better than raw organic and natural diet you would see in a fishs' natural environment...i will be trying it, regardless... i have seen monumental benifits from extra raw and live/frozen/freeze dried food that doesnt have extra crap in it...

MY GIRLFRIEND IS ON A WELSH CORGI FORUM and a food discussion came up...it is just as exciting as this one...lol
There are so many brands of dog food it's crazy. And it's different between the east and west coast. What may be great food for most dogs can cause an allergic reaction in just one, other dog.
That is one food discussion I would avoid like the plague.LOL

Back
Top Bottom