Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #71

i want to,it sounds great. just waiting to think of what else i need, so shipping a CAN of fish food is worth the postage costs. i have seen other foods that where close to the same ingrediants.i I still know my fish have grown in size,better coloring,and are livelier using what i do, i know they are healthy and paresite prevention is a priority...i would HATE to have anything happen to them...there is a debate about ich always being in your tank, i think it needs to be intraduced.... did i mention my red zebra is pregnant again, her fry are 1.1/4'' and shes holding again!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #72

There are always pathogens in the tank. For them to develop into a disease there has to be a stressor. If the fish become stressed for some reason (aggression, temp change, low water quality, poor nutrition, etc.) then whatever pathogens are present have a chance to infect. You will never have a sterile environment, and you don't want it. Whether it is ich, a bacteria, fungi, virus, etc. something will infect them. The better thing to focus on is preventing the stress.

At a glance the ingredients may look similar, but there are important differences. If you read through NLS's website he discusses fat levels and how feeding a fat level over about 5% all the time will likely lead to fatty deposits and early death. IMO nutrition is the most under-appreciated aspect of pet care, including in fishkeeping. Although the immediate results of any food may be okay, or even very good, the real issue that we have to look at now is long term health. We have good foods that provide great short term nutrition, but for fish to truly thrive long term we have to be much pickier. Long term the exact percentages of nutrients, along with the exact micronutrients (all those ingredients you wouldn't recognize if they were laid on a table in front of you) are vital.

When fish die we don't do necropsies. In most cases, unless the death was immediately preceded by a major stressor (like very cold water accidentally used for a water change) or obvious disease (like ich, fungus, etc.) most aquarists blame it on old age or something like that. In truth I think that effectively no fish die of old age. Granted there are some likely exceptions, but effectively all fish die of something we did wrong. Using salt all the time in freshwater can damage the kidneys. Low water quality, incorrect parameters (like keeping mbunas in a pH of 6.0) will cause problems. But we never find out about these things because all we see is a fish start to go down and then die.

At this point in the hobby we have the ability to truly start focusing on long term thrivability. Ideal water quality and the absolutely best, uncompromising nutrition are the two most important things to do this.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #73

do they have a fry food in the n.l.s. lineup?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #74

They have a few 0.5mm foods. They also recently came out with a micro particles formula for corals and filter feeders. It is 100-300 microns. That could work for some fry. Golden Pearls are not a NLS food but are an excellent alternative to culturing your own foods for fry. They are used for cories, rainbows, and many other fish fry.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #75

im gonna see what i can find online
Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I have NLS fry food (powder), as well as a growth formula for developing fry (0.5 mm).

As far as the price is concerned, I can't believe that anyone would even raise that as an issue. While it may cost 2 or 3 times some other food, it's STILL a cheap item. I mean, if you can't afford to spend $15 on a 300 gram jar that will last most people 3 or 4 months (or more, depending on how many tanks you have), then perhaps this is not the hobby for you.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #77

i cant believe it either
Old 03-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #78

thats about 10-11oz, that might last me a month and a half or two. yes that is not a bad price, someone said more than that, not to mention shipping costs.maybe this hobby isnt for you, why would you even say that? nothing good to say then dont say it, you dont have to waste your time
Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #79

If you have to get it shipped online it isn't too bad. Many places include shipping, or its only a few bucks. Like I said, cost wise it should not be effectively any more than any other food out there, especially when you take into account how long it lasts.

I do think that some people make too much of an issue with cost. I see people refusing to pay for aquarium sand that costs about the same as gravel, instead they buy a 50# of sand that isn't made for aquariums for $5. I see people trying to buy $40 fixtures at home depot instead of investing in a proper light fixture. This is a hobby. IMO by definition that means it is something we enjoy that takes up our spare time and money. I do think that if cost is such an issue this may not be the right hobby for you. If you got into fishkeeping to save money you made a mistake.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #80

ya but some people like fancy looking stands(like me) some dont care. i have expensive t5's, some buy shop lights.that is a different thread. and if you want something that works there are always more ways to do something.

Tags
spec, spectrum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com