new life spectrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got more than 150 fish to feed, not including fry. Trust me, it'll last you longer than that....unless you've got a collection like me :)

How long food lasts is heavily dependent on to what degree you overfeed.

Keeping pets costs money. If someone can't afford to provide for them then they shouldn't have them. It's not a bad thing to say - it's the truth. Now I'm not saying that if you can only afford low quality food then you shouldn't keep fish. I'm saying if you can only afford the lowest quality food perhaps the money spent on fishkeeping would be better spent somewhere else....or not spent at all.

i just got some nls+a and my fish loved it......i was feeding flakes and frozen bloodworms and dried shrimp for my turtles

question .....are frozen bloodworms more of a treat or can u feed everyday like i was doing ???

i dont know why you are making the big deal over something that doesnt matter. some people are extremely devoted and have a huge fish room, who cares if they use shop lights or whatever because they are cheaper, if it does the job they can use the extra money on fancy food or whatever. jeez im not a millionare but i do have expensive tastes. thinking back im talking about weight of flake, and pellets always weigh more.so lets see...

I'm not making a big deal about anything. I expressed my opinion on the matter and you initiated the exchange. I know people that save money by doing DIY stuff. They are usually trying to save more than a few dollars, which is the difference with the food.

Food is SUCH an important aspect to keeping healthy fish.

Comparing flakes to pellets by weight is like comparing apples to oranges. The fish require a LOT less food when feeding high quality pellets versus flakes.

Meaty treats shouldn't be fed every day.

it sure came out of nowhere, and is going nowhere and it is not related to the topic of food. you have stated your opinion. thank you for the help you have been.

maybe this hobby isnt for you, why would you even say that? nothing good to say then dont say it, you dont have to waste your time

You asked why I would say that. Excuse me for defending my position, which you asked me to do. But you're right, not having the money to buy high quality fish food is way off the topic of fish food so it is going no where.

Feeding meaty foods everyday does depend on the fish. Some do well with the increase in protein intake, some don't. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone recommend feeding bloodworms everyday.

You asked why I would say that. Excuse me for defending my position, which you asked me to do. But you're right, not having the money to buy high quality fish food is way off the topic of fish food so it is going no where.

Feeding meaty foods everyday does depend on the fish. Some do well with the increase in protein intake, some don't. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone recommend feeding bloodworms everyday.

OK I WILL CUT THAT BACK....... i have 2 acie ,2 angel,2 buttefiki {or however u spell it} 1 green teror 1 jewel 1 pleco

i know i have mixed n.w and african but there getting along SO FAR .....i plan on feeding the new food nls+a and a lil bit of flakes ........what do u think???/

bloodworms 2 or 3 times a week??? or less ????

sorry for kind of butting in on your guys conversation :(

Feeding meaty foods to african cichlids leads to bloat. Many of them are mainly herbaceous, which is one of the reasons you aren't supposed to mix them - it's not just a compatibility issue. Admittedly, I am not familiar with specific cichlids so I do not know if your africans can handle the protein or not.

Garlic contains allicin which has been shown scientifically to be able to kill parasites (primary scientific research by actual scientists, not theoretical claims by hobbyists). In studies it actively killed parasites within minutes.

I wrote an article on this exact subject that is published in the April 2011 issue of Aquarium Fish International Magazine.

NLS has proven to be the best food for many animals under my care over and over again. It does sound like hype, but it is all true, which makes it all that much better of a food. The ingredients are no secret, and garlic is part of all of their foods, but there is more of it in the Thera+A varieties. This means that any of the foods are more likely to be taken by more fish, sooner.

When I was running a fish shop I fed it exclusively. I had almost no problems getting fish to eat (including arowanas, bichirs, stingrays, etc.). They also colored up better and faster, grew faster, and were healthier. This is in comparison to other stores I worked in where the fish were not fed NLS. I had gold barbs, goldfish, shrimp, galaxy rasboras, crayfish, many cichlids, discus, and others breeding in the sales tanks. I also had the fewest deaths of any shop I have worked in.

From talking to people, trying foods, etc. few foods come close to what NLS can do. I recommend anyone try it, feed it exclusively, and see what it can do for your fish.

After I gave my Killer Red Zebra, Sonny, back to the FS I started using NLS grow.
I had to replace a lot of my stock and the few that were left were very stressed and not growing like they should have.
NLS was amazing, the younger fish grew over night and the older stunted caught up with the others with in a couple weeks.
Their color is just spectacular. The female Red Zebra looked anemic she was such a pale orange. Now, she's a bright glowing orange.
I won't feed them anything else. Even the really finicky Mbuna just inhale the stuff.
I tell anyone who will listen to try NLS.
But thank you, it's nice to know there is real science behind behind their claims. Although I've seen for myself that it does what it claims to.

Feeding NLS exclusively will allow you to get around the otherwise incompatible diets. No need for any supplementation or 'treats'. Feed it exclusively.

Separate those fish asap. The buttikoferi will kill everything else if you don't separate them into appropriate tanks asap. You won't know you NEED to until it's too late. Angels and mbunas should not be together. Their water preferenes and behavior are completely incompatible.

veggie food has meat in it, meaty food has veggie in it. there are stuff in fish food that shouldnt be. most AFRICANS ARE OMNIVORUS, they go herbal and meaty, some are HERBAVORES, some eat mostly MEAT,check out what they need before you feed. even this n.l.s. will specially cater to fishes' needs(or it should) so get informed about what is in it. n.l.s. doesnt seem to expensive , i pay $6 for 1oz. of quality flake from a different mfg.

maNY times stated bloodworms can be eaten everyday, its not for every fish nor would i ever feed it exclusivly either...everyone will tell you different, i like the action and everything else frozen bloodworms add to the excitement of watching my Venustus african cichlid, eat half the cube in one bite, leaving the other half to the rest(fine cuz they dont need alot of meat, cuz they are mbunas) so i think cutting down would be good and use a quality food like n.l.s. or omega one for everyday feeding

also frozen bloodworms have a lot of moisture weight and only 3.5% protein, where as freeze dried bloodworms have almost 0 moisture and 50% protein, somethin' to think 'bout.probobly not enough for a good diet, better to mainly feed n.l.s. and or other quality food that is well balanced.

just read that garlic can cause kidney failure in dogs... n.l.s. has garlic in it, just cause a scientist says its good today, doesnt mean they wont find its harmful in someway tomorow(not saying the findings about n.l.s. are false).also, i would beware of anything with yeasts in it when feeding herbavores...also when you feed the same food all the time , animals can develop a food allergy.

Dogs and fish are completely different animals. There's a whole slew of things dogs shouldn't eat. For example: feeding plecos avocado. Avocado is bad for dogs. You really can't compare.

We could discover all sorts of problems with what we feed in the future. Trying to predict the future and therefore not feeding something doesn't make sense to me. Also remember that many things like that require a certain amount to be toxic. People use garlic in dogs all the time as a natural flea and tick preventative with no problems. That same dog that gets into the pantry and eats a few cloves may have serious health problems though. It is not just what it is but how much.

I have never heard of a fish developing an allergy to a food. If it was possible for them to develop allergies, if you feed a lot of different things the same thing can happen, except now you have a lot of different foods and don't know which one the problem is.

What is your concern with yeast?

Back
Top Bottom