Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

new life spectrum

what is this stuff , what are the ingredients? some people are swearing by it but wont say what is in it? anyone tell me about this?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle
what is this stuff , what are the ingredients? some people are swearing by it but wont say what is in it? anyone tell me about this?
I use their Thera-A and my fish love it. Garlic is a key ingredent.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

so whats in it? garlic is good, and...health food for fish?lol
Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

posted at 5:31pm in response to your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Typical Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero ( E ), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle
Garlic is good in general (for us humans too) and other than Seachem's Entice I didn't see it anywhere else.

http://www.garlic-central.com/antibiotic.html

Look on NLS website too.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

Garlic contains allicin which has been shown scientifically to be able to kill parasites (primary scientific research by actual scientists, not theoretical claims by hobbyists). In studies it actively killed parasites within minutes.

I wrote an article on this exact subject that is published in the April 2011 issue of Aquarium Fish International Magazine.

NLS has proven to be the best food for many animals under my care over and over again. It does sound like hype, but it is all true, which makes it all that much better of a food. The ingredients are no secret, and garlic is part of all of their foods, but there is more of it in the Thera+A varieties. This means that any of the foods are more likely to be taken by more fish, sooner.

When I was running a fish shop I fed it exclusively. I had almost no problems getting fish to eat (including arowanas, bichirs, stingrays, etc.). They also colored up better and faster, grew faster, and were healthier. This is in comparison to other stores I worked in where the fish were not fed NLS. I had gold barbs, goldfish, shrimp, galaxy rasboras, crayfish, many cichlids, discus, and others breeding in the sales tanks. I also had the fewest deaths of any shop I have worked in.

From talking to people, trying foods, etc. few foods come close to what NLS can do. I recommend anyone try it, feed it exclusively, and see what it can do for your fish.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
Garlic contains allicin which has been shown scientifically to be able to kill parasites (primary scientific research by actual scientists, not theoretical claims by hobbyists). In studies it actively killed parasites within minutes.

I wrote an article on this exact subject that is published in the April 2011 issue of Aquarium Fish International Magazine.

NLS has proven to be the best food for many animals under my care over and over again. It does sound like hype, but it is all true, which makes it all that much better of a food. The ingredients are no secret, and garlic is part of all of their foods, but there is more of it in the Thera+A varieties. This means that any of the foods are more likely to be taken by more fish, sooner.

When I was running a fish shop I fed it exclusively. I had almost no problems getting fish to eat (including arowanas, bichirs, stingrays, etc.). They also colored up better and faster, grew faster, and were healthier. This is in comparison to other stores I worked in where the fish were not fed NLS. I had gold barbs, goldfish, shrimp, galaxy rasboras, crayfish, many cichlids, discus, and others breeding in the sales tanks. I also had the fewest deaths of any shop I have worked in.

From talking to people, trying foods, etc. few foods come close to what NLS can do. I recommend anyone try it, feed it exclusively, and see what it can do for your fish.
+1

I feed my fish a variety of foods on a random basis, is that bad? I figure every mfg has a different recipe and like us, the same thing (ingredents) everyday isn't good for them. It's all HQ food too, no cheap stuff.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #9

thank you mfdrookie516. that was elaborate, and exactly what i was hoping to get. not bad stuff, lots of good stuff, a little more meal in it than i thought. but it has lots of natural ingredients, hopefully low in ash...but does look better than alot of fish food out there! i love feeding my fish a great variety, and as much as i dont want to give them to much, they love eating frozen bloodworms, and i love the feedin' frenzy, im addicted to watching them....my fish get zucchini, romaine, spinich, seaweed, spiralina, veggie and meaty pellets, kelp flake, tropical flake( lots of omega one varieties)...emerald entree, brine shrimp(hatched and frozen), frozen and freeze dried bloodworms....so i prefer to mix it up on them so they dont eat one thing, you know?
* nuisance snails and mussel(*puffer fish)...sure im forgetting something...
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #10

With NLS the meals are the whole animals, not the scraps after being stripped of meat for human consumption like most other pet foods.

I would feed NLS exclusively, you will get better results that way. Variety is not a necessity from a nutritional point of view. What is important is a complete and balanced diet, which is hard to find. Variety is the usual method of getting to this main goal though. And in a way a proper food will be exactly that, a variety of foods (ingredients) mixed together to create an ideal diet. If you read through all the info on NLS's site there is some good information (but some liberty with some of the claims IMO). If you take the best food out there (whether it is NLS or not) and mix in other good foods that are not as good the overall diet is not as good.

I would be extremely surprised if you cut out the variety and fed NLS exclusively and didn't see an improvement somehow.

Tags
spec, spectrum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com