New Light Fixture, but bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekeyofb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok folks.....I have upgraded my light fixture and now I need to know which bulbs to purchased. This is my current setup:

75g Tank
Current T5 light fixture 4X54w(216watts total)
30g sump
Coralife 125 protien skimmer
---------------------------------------
Lion Fish
Picasso Trigger
Yellow Tang
(plan on adding more)
---------------------------------------
Various Mushrooms
Green Star Polyp

Ultimately, I want to have more low light corals. Will they do well under 216watts? Should I run 6,500k, 10,000k or 12,000k? What corals would you recommend for this amount of light? Also, give me any input on setup, livestock, etc.

Hmmm, that trigger should be in a 70G or larger tank, the tang should be in a larger tank too and I'm surprised the trigger hasn't been nipping the lion. I don't think you should add any more fish to that tank. Are you planning on an upgrade?
You should be able to keep lower light corals.
The k rating is the spectrum of light, 6500k is yellow, 10K is white and 12K starts getting blue (i think...drawing a blank here, for some reason).

Thanks for the advice concerning the fish, but I do plan on upgrading to a 220. However, all of my fish are babies and I have some time before I have to upgrade. I already have the tank, but I need to build my stand and etc. So, the fish are well taken care of.

However, my concern is about the lighting. I know I need the 2xblue atinics. However, what white light bulbs should I use to best suit any corals? In other words, which light spectrum do the corals respond better to? From my understanding, the 6500k lighting represents the noon day sun. So, would that be best?

I use VHO`s but I run 50/50 bulbs and super actinic bulbs. I use 2 of each. As far as the corals I would think you could do most soft corals and most LPS corals. IMO you are on the lower end of moderate lighting.

The 50/50 are a combination of the blue and which spectrum of white? Also, thanks for the advice on the corals...I will be looking into those coral types soon.

Back
Top Bottom