New Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noone

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all! I have just ordered a cf lighting system (from my LFS) for my 29 gallon tank. It is the one shown here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12109&N=2004+113176+2146962447
The only difference is that it comes in a different box. It is the same brand and light.

I want to, eventually, keep some corals and anemones (for my clowns). My only question is, what kind of corals and anemones, if any, will I be able to keep? I will have a total of 130 watts of lighting. The light comes with Actinic and 10000°K bulbs (One of each).

Sorry for the poorly written post! TIA!

edit: I forgot to mention that, for the time being, I am mostly worried about getting rid of teh red/brown algae and start some coraline growth.

what kind of corals and anemones, if any, will I be able to keep?
That is enough lighting to keep a nice variety of mushrooms, zoos, leathers, polyps and LPS corals. You can also keep some lower-light demanding anemones like bulb tipped anemones.

noone said:
The only difference is that it comes in a different box. It is the same brand and light.

Thats probably because its the older model, if it comes in a red box and the light is silveer it is probably the older model, and proably does not come with the lunar lights.

Thanks for the replies. At least I am not extremely limited as to the corals that I can keep!

As for the box, it is blue. It does have the lunar lights. I dunno. I guess I will see when it arrives on Wednesday! Thanks Again!

lando said:
what kind of corals and anemones, if any, will I be able to keep?
That is enough lighting to keep a nice variety of mushrooms, zoos, leathers, polyps and LPS corals. You can also keep some lower-light demanding anemones like bulb tipped anemones.

I am looking at the same light setup for my first tank of 29gal...

I am assuming by your answer that most anemones require more light then this puts out? If I am shooting for more of a reef tank, without having to worry much about the lighting for them what would be a better choice for light for a 29gal tank?

Also, is there some sort of formula or rule for lights and what the anemones need?

Some species of anemones can survive in low light, but it is recommended to be towards the brighter side of things. How much space do you have in your canopy ? ( assuming you are using one ) If you arent using one id maybe say contemplate a hanging halide pendant for a small reef tank. If you have a canopy id say look into a halide retrofit if you are going reef, and a PC's if you wanna do fish only. Also, the higher the Kelvin rating, the more towards the blue spectrum the light will be. ( 14K will have a more blue hue as opposed to a 10K )

It really depends on how much space you have to work with, and what your budget will allow.

budget is minimum, but if i can save some money by building a canopy (which i am fairly handy) and getting lights that i will need, that is deffinitly something that can happen.

But then the problem is, i had a coralife light picked out, and it seems as if it might not give me the light i will need to get deep into the anemones.

Anyone out there have any clue as to a good DIY canopy, and any links / resources for what is needed for lighting <-- complete tankless newbie

it's a good light....my old one is very similar to yours....going to use it to culture phytoplankton. enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom