Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
You definately need 40-50lbs of LR, UG filters are not used anymore..they just nitrate factories.. get rid of it asap.. the LR will act as the biofiltration and you've got the skimmer so you'll be okay..

FYI.. those two fish will get too large for the 55gal, especially the lion who will hit full size in no time..

hth

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Jasonanatal
I'm not going to get rid of any of my Filtration. My water quality is perfect so I wouldn't even consider this.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here we go again Good luck, Jasonanatal....please listen to all this good advice this time around!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but the title of your thread seems to to be asking what people think of your set up...."New Aquarium Setup What Does Everyone Think?" You got what you asked for and it was sound advice. I agree with everyone else, ditch the UGF and get some LR. It is a much better form of biological filtration and will cause you less headaches down the road. I also suggest you consider LS instead of CC as a substrate. Less maintanance and it will not cause NO3 to rise over time. This is your tank and you may do with it as you choose. However, if you are not even willing to take the advice you ask for into consideration then stop asking the questions. I do wish you success in your setup.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonanatal
I'm not going to get rid of any of my Filtration. My water quality is perfect so I wouldn't even consider this.
The tank has only been running a few weeks / month right? This is why the water is "perfect" We are all looking at the big picture and what will happen months down the road. you may get a year out of the UG filter before you start seeing the effects of the waste build up under that filter.
Again if you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question.
Good luck with all this big fishies..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Well you definately need more LR since he just purchased a snowflake moray eel.. they will not survive the stress of a blank tank, they need rock to hide and the UGF will pose a problem because they are diggers!!!!
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Get 2 660R Penguin powerheads for REVERSE flow on your UGF. Don't run it standard.......do reverse flow. 8)
Old 11-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Jasonanatal
Thank you for the advice guys. I will take all into consideration and will soon be preparing a 150 gallon tank two provide a new home for my little ones when the grow. I will definitely consider sand instead of Crushed Coral. I am also going to purchase more live rock for my tank next week.

Tags
marine, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com