New member needs some lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonjonbear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I have a Jebo UR9 tank which has the lighting integrated into the lid. It currently has three T8 tubes (one on each lid and a separate on in the middle) The construction and quality of this top is absolute crap. It has rusted and shorted twice in the last five years, and the lights again are failing so I am wanting to try to make it better. I see that it appears T8 bulbs have fallen out of popularity for aquarium lighting in favor of T5? It appears the bulb sockets I have are somehow attached by silicone to the bottom of the lids so they might be able to be cut off. Would it be better for me to totally replace all of this stuff with T5 or continue with the T8? I have contacted the company to price me a complete lid replacement but I suspect it will be a ridiculous price. so am considering just trying to revamp this one. The current bulbs have clip on reflectors whos clips have broken and I cannot even find T8 reflectors anymore. My aquarium looks like the middle one in this page:

JEBO Aquarium Parts & Accessories Importer and Wholesaler: UR9 Series Curved Glass Aquariums

Thanks for any tips or advice, and what benefit I might see to the T5. This is a completely closed top so using something that will make more heat isn't an option either.

Thanks,

John

Welcome to AA!

Are you running saltwater or freshwater?

T5 bulbs are popular because of their small diameter. You can fit more T5s in a given space. Less restrike occurs, putting more light into the tank. The smaller diameter allows good parabolic reflectors to be used for each bulb.

T8 bulbs are actually a little more energy efficient, but I imagine it's a wash when considering the extra light a T5 can put into a tank.

If the lighting in your hood is beyond hope, look at getting a retrofit kit. It's really up to you whether you want to go T5 or T8. I believe there are more bulb options with T8 for now. If you want to do a planted tank (FW), or a reef tank (SW), look at T5HO.

Hi Jim,
It's freshwater, no real plants (thanks to my Severum)
It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to take this whole dang thing apart to get to the ballasts and such..I think I will look over the bulb socket attachments and see if I even have the option to replace them. I would like to get more light in there, the tank is a bit tall so it can use more light.

Thanks,

John

Welcome to AA!

Are you running saltwater or freshwater?

T5 bulbs are popular because of their small diameter. You can fit more T5s in a given space. Less restrike occurs, putting more light into the tank. The smaller diameter allows good parabolic reflectors to be used for each bulb.

T8 bulbs are actually a little more energy efficient, but I imagine it's a wash when considering the extra light a T5 can put into a tank.

If the lighting in your hood is beyond hope, look at getting a retrofit kit. It's really up to you whether you want to go T5 or T8. I believe there are more bulb options with T8 for now. If you want to do a planted tank (FW), or a reef tank (SW), look at T5HO.

Your tank is an unusual shape which unfortunately complicates most DIY projects. You could build yourself a new hood, but the round ends will be difficult.

Be careful no to add too much light. You don't want to deal with algae problems.

Hi Jim,
Yeah, had I only known..I have contemplated building one but just don't know how I could do that round bullet end without it looking really bad.
Yeah will watch the light issue, already having algae problems but think maybe my UV bulb needs replacing.

Thanks,

John

Your tank is an unusual shape which unfortunately complicates most DIY projects. You could build yourself a new hood, but the round ends will be difficult.

Be careful no to add too much light. You don't want to deal with algae problems.

Back
Top Bottom