New, need advice on filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aliangel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I have just received a 75g tank with 2 large gold fish, 5 giant danios, 7 tiger barbs and 4 zebra danios. I was told there was a pleco as well but haven’t seen it yet so it must still be on the smaller side. ( common pleco?)
It was a friend who did not have the time for it anymore.
I’m worried that the filter thats in it may not be enough for all these fish.
The current filter is a Marineland penguin 350?
Should I add a second filtration system or do you think it’s effective enough?
I’m new to the aquarium hobby so any advice would be greatly appreciate!
I do have a API test kit and all levels are ok so far, I’m just worried as these fish grow bigger tho.
Also should I add any real plants for these guys? There is the fake plastics and drift wood.
Sorry this may be all over the place but I’m just trying to do a good job in keeping these guys alive.
Thank you for your help!

Recommend a AquaClear 110 for aquariums 60-110G - it has one of the best flows for gallons per hour (appx 500gph) and has a space to add additional media. Like Matrix, and room for Purigen both would be additions for the filter I would recommend.

Check out the article in my signature too for solid basic info (as a side note).

Goldfish and the others do not necessarily have the same requirements/needs btw.

Thanks autumnsky for the reply.
I’ll look into the filter.
I know the goldfish are more of a Coldwater and the others are tropical, I was surrendered this tank and it’s contents, so I don’t have an option atm but to keep them together, that I know of lol.
I am thinking of re homing the pleco tho, I read it can get up to 18inches! And with the 2 large goldfish I feel like just those 3 will over run this 75g let alone all the other fish that’s in it.
I have noticed that the danios and barbs will also eat the goldfish food, is that ok?
I stayed up later tonight to see if I could glimpse the pleco after lights out, and it looks to be about 3 inches right now (so it is in there��)

What would be a good water hardness for this mix of fish?

They could be in 7.5 or more pH.

See if you can get a pic of the Pleco and see if it seems to be a common or a Bristle aka Bushynose Pleco.

If you have an idea where they were purchased from, Walmart or other big box fish store often you can go back and see the tags for their most commonly stocked fish???

Do you know your hardness/GH, or alkalinity/KH, pH?

Chances are if they are still alive you might have a good water for them.

If it is a common Pleco it is the absolute worst, in the top 10 fish NOT to get for your aquarium :) As you mentioned you just got the tank of fish. But it gives you an opportunity to learn about what you have and which go together best, then make decisions like rehome / add a new tank / see how close you can get for similar care...

The tropical fish generally won't like it cooler than 78F and the cool/cold water fish don't like it too much warmer than 79F.

A good basic place to check on their requirements is liveaquaria.com and aqadvisor is a good overall tank stock review though pretty conservative on stocking.

Temp and pH are a starting point for similarity (or not).

You can make a list if you like to do that or use the aqadvisor which will tell you ALL the things going or could be going wrong with the combination of fish you have.

This is a great visual for GF. Even applies to not Fancy GF probably even more so.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Hello Ali...

I use dual sponge filters in my tanks. They're cheap, efficient, easy to clean and you never have to buy or replace filter media. Am curious how you're able to keep warm blooded tropical fish with cold blooded Goldfish. I keep both, but in separate tanks. The Goldfish water is 68 to 70 degrees and the other tanks are at 76 to 78.

B

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=48&AquTankDepth=18&AquTankHeight=20&AquListBoxFilter=Marineland+Penguin+350B&AquTextFilterRate=70+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquListBoxFilter3=Choose&AquTextFilterRate3=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Common+Pleco+%28Pterygoplichthys+pardalis%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=1&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300080%3A5%3A%3A%2C200909300085%3A2%3A%3A%2C200909300232%3A7%3A%3A%2C200909300248%3A4%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=3&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simpleWow, so I looked up the fish I have and attached the picture of what the “advisor” stated. I just put the pleco as common as I still have to look up the exact one I now have.
I dipped the tank this morning and my hardness is 150gh
Alkaline 180kh
And PH is 7.8
No ammonia or nitrate, nitrite.

How would I go about making the water softer? Marine salt?

I spoke to my friend about when she got the fish, where and what kind again, and she said they’re all about 2 weeks old from when she got them from pet smart, and it’s more than likely a common pleco. I managed to get a pic of it so if anyone can confirm that would be great.
The gold fish are about 15 and 20 years old! So she got tank mates thinking they may want friends before they go? I read they can live to be 50 tho?!?
She just got a job that requires her to travel so that’s why she gave up the tank and fish.

I have attached pics of the tank and temp that it’s currently at, I feel like the lights in there are giving off some heat and there is a small heater in there- not sure of size tho.
I have purchased a gravel cleaner that I’ve used this morning, and ordered a python to help with water changes and prime.

The filter on there has the blue filters and cartridges that I added Zeo-carb to. Hope that was a good idea?
I feel like I’m just flying by the seat of my pants here so any advice or other things I should purchase would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• E37023AC-A5C5-4F8D-80C6-383284E6CD0B.jpg
    E37023AC-A5C5-4F8D-80C6-383284E6CD0B.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 63BD4BAC-40A5-4F43-84A6-8E7C22405F8F.jpg
    63BD4BAC-40A5-4F43-84A6-8E7C22405F8F.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 62AEC4D4-3802-40F6-A3A3-971FC4575923.jpg
    62AEC4D4-3802-40F6-A3A3-971FC4575923.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 72
  • E31692B4-2ED2-4320-B26E-DA4FE5E65802.jpg
    E31692B4-2ED2-4320-B26E-DA4FE5E65802.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 57
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Wow, so I looked up the fish I have and attached the link of what the “advisor” stated. I just put the pleco as common as I still have to look up the exact one I now have.
I dipped the tank this morning and my hardness is 150gh
Alkaline 180kh
And PH is 7.8
No ammonia or nitrate, nitrite.

How would I go about making the water softer? Marine salt?

I spoke to my friend about when she got the fish, where and what kind again, and she said they’re all about 2 weeks old from when she got them from pet smart, and it’s more than likely a common pleco. I managed to get a pic of it so if anyone can confirm that would be great.
The gold fish are about 15 and 20 years old! So she got tank mates thinking they may want friends before they go? I read they can live to be 50 tho?!?
She just got a job that requires her to travel so that’s why she gave up the tank and fish.

I have attached pics of the tank and temp that it’s currently at, I feel like the lights in there are giving off some heat and there is a small heater in there- not sure of size tho.
I have purchased a gravel cleaner that I’ve used this morning, and ordered a python to help with water changes and prime.

The filter on there has the blue filters and cartridges that I added Zeo-carb to. Hope that was a good idea?
I feel like I’m just flying by the seat of my pants here so any advice or other things I should purchase would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 47914EB1-171A-4EDA-9041-C5CAA47ACE05.jpg
    47914EB1-171A-4EDA-9041-C5CAA47ACE05.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 8075AC3B-4E8E-4405-904A-EC74F4F0AAB6.jpg
    8075AC3B-4E8E-4405-904A-EC74F4F0AAB6.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 33598D54-FCAD-4D26-97E5-DD89563E7DAD.jpg
    33598D54-FCAD-4D26-97E5-DD89563E7DAD.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 638EC364-8A02-4901-BB10-B1156CEE8A93.jpg
    638EC364-8A02-4901-BB10-B1156CEE8A93.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 57
Recommend a AquaClear 110 for aquariums 60-110G - it has one of the best flows for gallons per hour (appx 500gph) and has a space to add additional media. Like Matrix, and room for Purigen both would be additions for the filter I would recommend.

Check out the article in my signature too for solid basic info (as a side note).

Goldfish and the others do not necessarily have the same requirements/needs btw.

Autumnsky, would I use this filter instead of the one I currently run, or add it to my tank as well, I did write another reply but because in included a link to the AQadvisor i think it has to be reviewed. hopefully it gets posted soon as i don't want to have to re write everything haha.
thanks again for your help, its greatly appreciated!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom