Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I do on a weekly basis. I clean the pads for both (not entire filter). It's a long process. If I don't clean them out, then the dutrius will leach ammonia and release unmeasureable dissolved waste. For under stocked tanks or fish with lower bioload, you can space out the pad cleaning to one every 2 weeks.

Go to YouTube and look up review videos. You'll get a better understanding.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay I'll do that. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by didysis View Post
Fluval FX5 read my review on it- I just got one, AMAZON best price- If you need any help pm me, glad to help out. Have you figured out heaters yet also??
Didysis, I have been looking at heaters, and I know that I need to get 2, because This 120 tank will be in my garage, and it is much colder than the house normally. BUT on the opposite end, in the summer in California, my garage can get to over 100 degrees. Will I need to regulate that, or do you think that the size of the tank should be sufficient to keep the temperature down?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya heat wise you will forsure need 2 good heaters, get some higher watt ones so you dont burn them out by having them run all the time. Your garage is it insulated? Also the garage doors can have foam added into them (well some doors) Your going to want to try to keep the temp swing as little as possible. Heat could be an issue there foresure.

Aslo what temp do you plan to keep the tank at??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNarnian View Post
Didysis, I have been looking at heaters, and I know that I need to get 2, because This 120 tank will be in my garage, and it is much colder than the house normally. BUT on the opposite end, in the summer in California, my garage can get to over 100 degrees. Will I need to regulate that, or do you think that the size of the tank should be sufficient to keep the temperature down?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by didysis
Ya heat wise you will forsure need 2 good heaters

Aslo what temp do you plan to keep the tank at??
The tank that my fish are in now sit at about 76 degrees, give or take a degree or 2. I know that's warm for goldfish, but that's the standard temp without a heater, and my guppies seem happy so that's the range im looking for.

Unfortunately the garage is NOT insulated. It was supposed to be done this last winter but something more important came up. During the day it should be okay... its the nights im worried about. When it gets down to freezing outside, its only about 5 degrees warmer in the garage.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

With Goldfish- (what type you keeping? I do like them allot, love the color)
I would be more worried about the heat than the cold, but I have seen fish deal with warmer than normal temps better than cold temps. Ill get back to you in a couple time to leave work, ya I know working and playing at the same time LOL
Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's okay, im sitting in a university classroom doing the same thing! Haha one is absolutely a comet. He's the biggest, and still growing! One is just a feeder, but he's almost 5 in. Another one is all white, but LOOKS like a comet, but I won him at the del mar fair 2 years ago and I have no idea.(im surprised she survived living in a bag all day there, poor thing)

The last one... looks like a mutant fish. He's all white as well, but with a joined tail like a black moor. He's sadly developed cataracts in both eyes, though he can still see just fine, it would seem. He has no trouble eating! Haha
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a canister with a overstocked 55gal. And I just change out the filter floss every 4 weeks or so. But when I do I rinse and squeeze out the two course foam pads with old tank water a bunch of times.

That once a week maintance seems way too much, I pretty sure the point of the filter surface and capactiy is to extend the cleanings. NOT increase them to once a week.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It doesn't matter how much filtering capacity you have in your tank. There's nothing that can help an overstocked tank. Filter surface only catches more waste. It doesn't do much for nitrAte and dissolved organic waste. Overstocked and changing them once a month.. what is your nitrate reading? Seems like you got yourself a nitrate factory. If you don't remove the waste, weekly, then the solid waste are becoming dissolved waste and you'll continue to get a rise in nitrate.

oh btw, I would be concerned with the summer heat in the garage. You might have to end up getting a chiller for your tank. Look up "aquarium chiller". You need to find a way to bring your tank indoors and protect it against the elements.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I won't have an overstocked tank once I move the guys. And sadly, I cannot move the tank into the house, since we have wood floors and a 120 gal. accident would be the end of them. We're going to get the garage insulated though, so at the longest, it would only be this summer that I would have to worry about.

I'll look up the Chiller. Thanks for the advice!

Tags
120 gallon, 20 gallon, canister, canister filter, eheim, fluval, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com