Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonvictKeeper View Post
@ffmedic, you really don't need to change the cartridges until they are falling apart.
On another note, the Emperor 400 would be a great choice. I love emperors! I have both the 400 and the 280 running on my 55g. I would recommend them.
Thanks Konvict, I was wondering how much are the cartridges refills? And how often I should refill them?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I know what you mean (ffmedic).

Cornstar- A four pack is $10 http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Rit...7&sr=8-1-spell

And like I said, you don't need to replace them until they are falling apart.

1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
FWIW, Ive used Marineland power filters for years. I have a Penguin 200 that is the most reliable (knocking on wood) quietest unit Ive ever had. I make my own filter cartridges so that saves a ton of money because the Marineland filter cartridges (if you buy them at the store) do add up.

The Emperor 280 I have now is ok, it really processes a lot of water. However, it is noisy. I dont know if its just mine but its a really common complaint out in the big internetz.

An Aquaclear filter comes highly recommended. The media is very reasonably priced, it is supposedly much quieter than the competitors, and they seem to last a long time.

Its all personal preference. When my Marineland power filters give up the ghost, I may go canister or aquaclear. Heck, if they improve the Emperors to be quieter, I'd have no problem going that route either. I like the bio-wheels.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Thanks for the advice Chriznat20, do you happen to know if the Emperor 400 would make a lot of noise as well? How do you go about making your own filters? (i.e where do you find the items to make it)
Old 11-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar View Post
Thanks for the advice Chriznat20, do you happen to know if the Emperor 400 would make a lot of noise as well? How do you go about making your own filters? (i.e where do you find the items to make it)
From the reviews I've read and heard on this site, sometimes they can be. But it seems like the majority of complaints are for the 280.

I posted a tutorial the other day (sans pictures). The next time I replace my cartridge, Im going to take pictures and post a tutorial here, step by step. Or I think there is even a tutorial on youtube regardless.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah Emp's can be loud... My 280 is noisy but my 400 is dead quiet. I didn't really think about that, because my tank is in my basement.

1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com