New Power Filter for 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So recently my "whisper 60" is not so whispery anymore due to old age. I was thinking of getting a new filter for my tank and can not decide which one to buy.

My following options are
Marineland Penguin 350b
Whisper 60
Aquaclear 50

These are roughly in the space price range. What I am looking for is a quiet, efficient and sturdy filter. Please do recommend other filters that are just as efficient for the same price range.

liked my whisper 60, but I JUST switched to a canister after getting sick of changing out filter pads every 3-4 days. that being said, yeah...i liked my whisper, never gave me problems, has ran forever, never leaked etc. Good luck!

From what I've read and heard, you have to keep an eye on the canisters water output to see if it's time for a change. My particular filter allows a 'partial' filter change, where you can actually rinse out the pre-filter pad.

Long and short of it, you don't have to change filter pads as much with canisters, I feel they probably do a better job filtering overall, and the flexibility to use custom filter media is great!

not necessarily...most places you can buy filter media bags that will hold the 'stuff'

Eheim makes filter pads that are designed for said product, but if you want to add additional things such as peat, or additional chemical filtration, you would probably end up using the media bags.

I am considering heavily on the Emperor 400, since it is $40 with a 10 dollar rebate and the bio-wheel sounds like a nice touch.

@ffmedic, you really don't need to change the cartridges until they are falling apart.
On another note, the Emperor 400 would be a great choice. I love emperors! I have both the 400 and the 280 running on my 55g. I would recommend them.

That's a great product too. (Emperor)

KonvictKeep - I was changing cartridges because I had water spilling out over the top of the filters, not because I felt it was 'better' for my tank/fish.

If you don't mind the extra cost go with a canister, many folks will swear by them due to less continuous maintenance and increased flexibility. Otherwise the Emperor, Whisper or whichever you choose will work great as well.

@ffmedic, you really don't need to change the cartridges until they are falling apart.
On another note, the Emperor 400 would be a great choice. I love emperors! I have both the 400 and the 280 running on my 55g. I would recommend them.

Thanks Konvict, I was wondering how much are the cartridges refills? And how often I should refill them?

FWIW, Ive used Marineland power filters for years. I have a Penguin 200 that is the most reliable (knocking on wood) quietest unit Ive ever had. I make my own filter cartridges so that saves a ton of money because the Marineland filter cartridges (if you buy them at the store) do add up.

The Emperor 280 I have now is ok, it really processes a lot of water. However, it is noisy. I dont know if its just mine but its a really common complaint out in the big internetz.

An Aquaclear filter comes highly recommended. The media is very reasonably priced, it is supposedly much quieter than the competitors, and they seem to last a long time.

Its all personal preference. When my Marineland power filters give up the ghost, I may go canister or aquaclear. Heck, if they improve the Emperors to be quieter, I'd have no problem going that route either. I like the bio-wheels.

Thanks for the advice Chriznat20, do you happen to know if the Emperor 400 would make a lot of noise as well? How do you go about making your own filters? (i.e where do you find the items to make it)

Thanks for the advice Chriznat20, do you happen to know if the Emperor 400 would make a lot of noise as well? How do you go about making your own filters? (i.e where do you find the items to make it)

From the reviews I've read and heard on this site, sometimes they can be. But it seems like the majority of complaints are for the 280.

I posted a tutorial the other day (sans pictures). The next time I replace my cartridge, Im going to take pictures and post a tutorial here, step by step. Or I think there is even a tutorial on youtube regardless.

Back
Top Bottom