New pump won’t start, can anybody help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannybeveridge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I’ve read plenty of “my pump won’t start” threads but this seems to be something different.

I bought a cheap 12v pump off eBay (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282427844250) but it wouldn’t start.

It’s brand new, so it’s not clogged but I unscrewed the face plate to expose the impeller, which I found had a magnetic shaft sitting in a recess.

With the power on, I could JUST see it wanting to move but remaining “stuck.” So with the impeller still exposed, I have it a little push in the right direction. Nothing - it never picked up momentum and almost immediately stopped. It took quite a big “flick” of the impeller to get it turning fast enough to “sync” with the electromagnets that we’re no doubt behind the recess cover.

Once I’d given it a good kickstart, though, it kept running and I was able to screw the plate back on and pump some water. Unfortunately whenever it stops, I couldn’t get it going again unless I pulled it apart and helped it along.

I tried forcefully sucking water through, hoping the water flow would be enough to kick start it but no. I tried running it for half an hour, hoping it would all “bed in” but again, didn’t work.

Does anyone if this is normal behaviour? Am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret way to kickstart it like with a magnet or something? Or is the device likely faulty?

Thanks in advance

When my impellers stop working I take the impeller out and scrub the housing with a toothbrush that the magnet sits in. It usually has a little gunk up in it. Then it seems to work again for me. Also scrub the top if the impeller and inspect the shaft for any build up. Worth a shot before throwing it away.

If this is a new unused pump that was like this out of packaging then I think its a faulty pump. Do as fisher said and make sure nothing is in area the impeller slides into. If it still doesn't work then I would say faulty pump. What pump is this?

Just that el-cheapo one on eBay that I posted the link to.

I wonder if maybe I should grease it?

Back
Top Bottom