New reef tank 75g-100g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Semaka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Wall of text inc.
So I'm looking to start a new reef tank. Budget is around 2.5k for the initial hardware. I would like to get a complete system tank, stand, lights, powerheads, pump, sump, plumbing. I live on the north shore of Montreal.

I've been checking the stores around me for the best prices. Initially I found a stand+tank 48/18/21 75g drilled for abit under 500$. And the lighting system a triple module maxspect mazarro p series for 1545$ (ebay had them for 1599 so i thought that was pretty decent).

I found another reef equipment store/distributor and I think the best offer yet. The other guy had a 48/18/27 bowfront predrilled + stand for 525. Asked him about a led fixture, he recommended a 48 in Sunbrite F series for 1099$. He seemed pretty sure of the quality and the fact that it would be more than enough for a tank similar to the one I was looking for.
So I would like suggestions/recommendations for the initial hardware. Lights have to be LEDs and tank size min 75g. I would like to be able to grow the majority of species of corals (eventually). Right now I would like to have a basic system that can be easily upgradable and hopefully wont be too restricted.

the second guy that offered the bowfront emailed me a list of items and prices.
2x Koralia 1400 GHP 116$
1x Koralia 1050 GHP 45$ (he did recommend a JBJ wavemaker kit but im afraid it will be too loud and initially i won't need it)
Mag float 350 cleaner 28$
4x filter socks 32$
JBJ 24 inch aquascraper 4 in 1 cleaning kit 19$
400w theo heater 40$
150w theo back up heater 28$
carbon reactor TLF 150 47$ + 19$ reactor pump
Bubble magus NAC 7 around 250$
Mag drive 9.5 105$ or Eheim 1260/1262 ?!$
JBJ top off controller + pump 137$
Seachem salt 56$
Sand 45 lbs (havent decided if i want a DBS or just a tiny 1 inch SB for the look) 59$
Sump still to be determined 200-275$ (been looking into DIY)
Tank+stand 525$
Lights 1099 (48" Sunbrite F series)
Suggested by the guy heater/cooling controller 170$
suggestions go! What would you change or keep. Limited experience with reef equipment here so yea, this is a nice way of saying I have never touched a skimmer in my life. Am I getting screwed? are these decent prices? Bear in mind I live in Canada.
Thx for reading :p

I would not buy the heater controller. Buy a RKL controller. A bit more up front but can controll not only the heater and chiller but your whole system. Also many run carbon in their sumps without a reactor. The reactor really isnt a must have either. I like the Quite One pumps. Cheaper and they are very quite. Sump: a 20 long will work, 30 is better. You can put the baffles in yourself and spend less than 1/2 if you DIY and find a used tank for sump to start. Skimmers almost a must.

I was looking at 40g tank 36/13/20 for a sump. It should fit in the stand considering the DT will be 48/18 minimum.

I was looking at 40g tank 36/13/20 for a sump. It should fit in the stand considering the DT will be 48/18 minimum.

If you do a 40 sump measure and make sure that any cross braces and such will really allow you to get it in there.

Generally about your price quotes. To give you some Idea check Craigs list first for used tanks. Most get into this hobby and become tired of the maintenance and such and sell their tanks for penneys on the dollar. I bought a 75 bowfront with stand and most of the equipment for 75.00 US. A little clean up and looks like new almost and all the pumps, skimmer, sump and such came with it. That allowed me to put my money into things like top of the line rock and lighting.

Highly agree with a Craigslist search. I found a 90 drilled with a very nice stand for $250. I had Koralias and while they are nice you will never get the wave motion like you will with Evotech Vortechs. I now have them on mine and am very happy with not only water movement but the complete water movement around my rock work (no detritus build up).

I found your post searching the Sunbrite F Series so if you get it please let is know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom