new rodi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got an rodi unit and im a little confused on the waste line. How much do i let that flow? Im getting a TON of waste and its gonna kill my water bill. I was wondering how much do i restrict the flow becasue theres a valve but the instructions say nothing.

Yes it will have some wastewater but that can be re used if you want to. You can run that in the washing machine and use it there or you can run it out to a flower garden or the grass as I do. You`ll have more wastewater than good water but it will be worth it all.

How much waste should i have. I have a 75 gpd unit and i seem to be getting a gallon of waste a minute. My good water has been about a gallon every half hour or so. Is it really a 30:1 ratio? or should i tighten my waste valve more?

Mine is about 3 or 4 to 1. 30 to 1 is quite high. But it will depend on your water quality also.

I just know if i tighten it the waste will slow but i dont know if that will mess up it. Another question. Is it safe to drink? I tasted it a little just out of curiousity however i read some places it can really hurt you.

Thanks. That was very informative. However it didnt say anything about why i am getting soo much waste...Did anyone ever have this huge of a ratio problem before? Or is my setup wrong?

I believe that it depends on the unit. Some will have as much as a 99g waste to 1g output water. As Mike stated it depends on your water Q. and also your water pressure. I run my waste into my washing machine.

Ah. that really sucks. I have a valve on the waste line. Why can I control the output to the waste? It seems letting less waste output doesn't effect anything other than it lets less water be wasted. Im kind of confused of why this valve is even there if its always supposed to be open.

My unit did not come with an outlet waste valve. You can take a TDS (Total Disolved Solids) reading with the valve wide open and see how close to 0 your output water is and then stop the waste valve down and see the difference.

I think thats what im going to have to do. I dont have a TDS at the moment though. Is there anything i should be looking for when getting one?

Not really. just get one that is easy for you to use. They are not that expensive. Just check it out online.

That's the one that I use. You won't be using it very often so it's great for spot checking.

Back
Top Bottom