New Skimmer Still not working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well I have been "patient" and have waited 4 day's (the instructions said wait 24-72 hours for the skimmer to get "broke into" the system, and its been about 98 hours) and the water in the skimmer is clear and it is not skimming at all????
Help? :?:

IMO, a week is a more reasonable break in time. I'm not familiar with the set up of the Coralife skimmer however, so if it needs adjusted that might be a problem?

Just be patient. :)

uh. maybe your needle wheel isnt open? (the grey dial on the intake tube between the pump and the unit)

maybe the air intake is pinched shut/clogged/not connected?

the pump is plugged it right? lol :)

yes, because the "overflow" or output area has water bubbling and over flowing. (I think like its suppose to?)

I have the 65 version on my 29 gal atm....

When its working properly, the water line should be right at the base of the upside-down-tornado-lookin-funnel-thingie. This way the bubbles start to collect and move up the inside if that funnel.

if foam bubbles up too much, turn the red knob to the thing flows less, you basically want foam in the funnel to struggle to make it to the top. thats where I get the best collection. If foam easily gets to the top, i get too much overflow and its really watery.

so were clear... the unit is infact making microbubbles right?

Microbubbles in the tank is a normal part of the breaking in process. In a few days you should see them go away and your skimmer should start skimming.

Honestly, those directions of a 24-72 hour break in are way off. My skimmers have always taken a week or more to even start skimming, then more than that to skim effciently. Assuming you have everything set up correctly, I'd still say to just be patient. Seems like it's just taking its good old time.

ok thanks a ton! whew! the bubbles have been in the tank for a few day's so I hope that it starts to skim soon! again thanks a ton!

Blazeyreef

I had some issues with my CoralLife unit working properly when I had one. One thing I found that worked, and I realize this sounds dumb was to pull the piece of airline tubing off the gray thing it connects too and blow into it. Typically when I did that within a few seconds or one or two blows the skimmer would kick on and start working, it might be worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom