New Tank BLUES!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Mackson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 30gal (112L) tank. Filled it full of water, rocks and plants, it looks real nice. Then I went to the pet store with the kids to purchase some fish. I live in Germany so they won’t sell you fish unless you bring in a water sample. The guy takes the water sample and drips some of this and some of that into the water. It turns Red and the he says “No fish for You!!” Are you kidding me what do I need to do now? Add this algae growing substance and then come back in two weeks. Go back to the pet shop with the kids and water again, to buy some fish. Same thing, RED water, “No fish for You!!” At this point I’m still trying to determine what the problem is. I think it’s a pH issue but I don’t know. The guy only speaks a little English and my kids just want some fish. So I’m being told to wait 6-8 weeks before the water is going to possibly be ready for fish.:banghead:
So… here’s my question, What can I do to the water to get it ready for fish? :thanks: Rob

There's some good threads here about your issue. It's called cycling. You need to cycle your tank. Some do fish less other like me do fish in cycle. You have to do a lot of water changes and test the water. I'd get yourself a test kit. API master kit is what most use.

He's basically telling you to cycle your tank before adding fish. I'm sure others will chime in who have more experience.

Good luck.

Last edited:
i really like germany, i wish the USA had rules like that!

From a different Thread i thought i would help consolidate info

I just purchased a 30gal tank. When do you need a heater? for salt water fish?

someone can correct me if im wrong but IMO every tank needs a heater, filtration and lights. for a 30 gallon tank i would recomend a 100w or 150w heater. in the summer i dont use a heater because i set my Air conditioner at 78* and my tank water stays at that temperature but if the air ever gets colder in your place of residence a heater is necessary to keep the temperature where you want it.

things i would recommend researching would be what fish you are planing on stocking in your tank.
things we can help with once you decide on what fish your children like are compatibility of fish, photo period of your lighting, how many fish you can keep,
if you have questions ask and we will be glad to help you out

one thing i would like to make sure you know is when you are finally able to get fish, the ones in the store are not full grown, if you are not planning on getting a larger tank when they do grow make sure you research how big they will get otherwise they will quickly run out of room and not lead very happy lives

Thank you, this is ALL Great information. I've been reading like crazy, but I' still a little nervous about checking for nitrItes and nitrAtes. It seems like it’s taking a long time to grow the needed bacteria for the tank. I still need to get a heater and I haven’t done a PWC yet. So now it’s just a waiting game? What is a normal amount of time needed to get the tank ready for fish? Does anyone know where to get pure ammonia in Germany? thanks again for your help, I probably would have given up on this hobby without this site. Thanks Rob

i really like germany, i wish the USA had rules like that!

From a different Thread i thought i would help consolidate info

someone can correct me if im wrong but IMO every tank needs a heater, filtration and lights. for a 30 gallon tank i would recomend a 100w or 150w heater. in the summer i dont use a heater because i set my Air conditioner at 78* and my tank water stays at that temperature but if the air ever gets colder in your place of residence a heater is necessary to keep the temperature where you want it.

things i would recommend researching would be what fish you are planing on stocking in your tank.
things we can help with once you decide on what fish your children like are compatibility of fish, photo period of your lighting, how many fish you can keep,
if you have questions ask and we will be glad to help you out

one thing i would like to make sure you know is when you are finally able to get fish, the ones in the store are not full grown, if you are not planning on getting a larger tank when they do grow make sure you research how big they will get otherwise they will quickly run out of room and not lead very happy lives

Really? I am not a fan of these restrictions. I've safety cycled tanks with fish in and wouldn't appreciate the fish store imposing their methods. With that being said, it is refreshing to see a LFS putting fish welfare ahead of profit.

God, I wish every LFS had rules like this German one.

God, I wish every LFS had rules like this German one.
+1:) The stores here could learn a thing or two from the German stores. a lot less fish would be sacrificed, and more people would stay in the hobby;)

Back
Top Bottom