Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question New Tank BLUES!!

I just bought a 30gal (112L) tank. Filled it full of water, rocks and plants, it looks real nice. Then I went to the pet store with the kids to purchase some fish. I live in Germany so they won’t sell you fish unless you bring in a water sample. The guy takes the water sample and drips some of this and some of that into the water. It turns Red and the he says “No fish for You!!” Are you kidding me what do I need to do now? Add this algae growing substance and then come back in two weeks. Go back to the pet shop with the kids and water again, to buy some fish. Same thing, RED water, “No fish for You!!” At this point I’m still trying to determine what the problem is. I think it’s a pH issue but I don’t know. The guy only speaks a little English and my kids just want some fish. So I’m being told to wait 6-8 weeks before the water is going to possibly be ready for fish.
So… here’s my question, What can I do to the water to get it ready for fish? Rob

Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's some good threads here about your issue. It's called cycling. You need to cycle your tank. Some do fish less other like me do fish in cycle. You have to do a lot of water changes and test the water. I'd get yourself a test kit. API master kit is what most use.

He's basically telling you to cycle your tank before adding fish. I'm sure others will chime in who have more experience.

Good luck.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1

Please visit this link to read up on the various methods of cycling your tank. He was correct in that it takes 6-8 weeks normally for a tank to cycle. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-154837.html

Be glad that they didn't sell you fish because you'd have experienced loss.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i really like germany, i wish the USA had rules like that!

From a different Thread i thought i would help consolidate info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mackson View Post
I just purchased a 30gal tank. When do you need a heater? for salt water fish?
someone can correct me if im wrong but IMO every tank needs a heater, filtration and lights. for a 30 gallon tank i would recomend a 100w or 150w heater. in the summer i dont use a heater because i set my Air conditioner at 78* and my tank water stays at that temperature but if the air ever gets colder in your place of residence a heater is necessary to keep the temperature where you want it.

things i would recommend researching would be what fish you are planing on stocking in your tank.
things we can help with once you decide on what fish your children like are compatibility of fish, photo period of your lighting, how many fish you can keep,
if you have questions ask and we will be glad to help you out

one thing i would like to make sure you know is when you are finally able to get fish, the ones in the store are not full grown, if you are not planning on getting a larger tank when they do grow make sure you research how big they will get otherwise they will quickly run out of room and not lead very happy lives
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you, this is ALL Great information. I've been reading like crazy, but I' still a little nervous about checking for nitrItes and nitrAtes. It seems like it’s taking a long time to grow the needed bacteria for the tank. I still need to get a heater and I haven’t done a PWC yet. So now it’s just a waiting game? What is a normal amount of time needed to get the tank ready for fish? Does anyone know where to get pure ammonia in Germany? thanks again for your help, I probably would have given up on this hobby without this site. Thanks Rob
Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschowa View Post
i really like germany, i wish the USA had rules like that!

From a different Thread i thought i would help consolidate info

someone can correct me if im wrong but IMO every tank needs a heater, filtration and lights. for a 30 gallon tank i would recomend a 100w or 150w heater. in the summer i dont use a heater because i set my Air conditioner at 78* and my tank water stays at that temperature but if the air ever gets colder in your place of residence a heater is necessary to keep the temperature where you want it.

things i would recommend researching would be what fish you are planing on stocking in your tank.
things we can help with once you decide on what fish your children like are compatibility of fish, photo period of your lighting, how many fish you can keep,
if you have questions ask and we will be glad to help you out

one thing i would like to make sure you know is when you are finally able to get fish, the ones in the store are not full grown, if you are not planning on getting a larger tank when they do grow make sure you research how big they will get otherwise they will quickly run out of room and not lead very happy lives
Really? I am not a fan of these restrictions. I've safety cycled tanks with fish in and wouldn't appreciate the fish store imposing their methods. With that being said, it is refreshing to see a LFS putting fish welfare ahead of profit.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

God, I wish every LFS had rules like this German one.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJ View Post
God, I wish every LFS had rules like this German one.
+1 The stores here could learn a thing or two from the German stores. a lot less fish would be sacrificed, and more people would stay in the hobby

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com