New tank build opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning a new 225 gallon build. With the space and room dimensions I am going with a 72x24x30. I currently have a 150 gallon.

Not to start a glass vs acrylic debate (I have an acrylic now that replaced a 75g glass), but what would you do if it was your new build. I know the pros and cons between the two, but does anyone know if the modern acrylics still turn yellow? All the acrylic manufacturers say "no" but I take that with a grain of salt.

Also, I'm planning on swapping over all my equipment that I am using now. It's oversized for my current tank. Right now my stand is 30." It all fits but it's tight getting the skimmer cup off. Is it worth getting a 36?" With a 36" the top of the tank with a 7" canopy will be 72.” I'm 5'10” so it might make maintenance and feedings a bit more challenging. Is the extra 6” worth it in your opinion?

I'm also using a sump so I am going with 2 rear trapezoidal overflows. I would like corner but the tank will now have a side view on the right so I don't want to have a standpipe there.

What are your opinions on the different manufacturers and vendors? I'm looking at fishtanksdirect.com. Are the stands/tanks strong and built well?

Back
Top Bottom