New tank creaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mycomuse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 36 gallon Aqueon bow front aquarium yesterday. This morning I heard creaking, popping noises every few minutes. The tank is off level by 1/8th of an inch both back to front, and left to right. I am draining the tank right now, as it only has plants at the moment. Is the tank too heavy for the old wood floor? I am in a second floor apartment built in the 20s. Is it just the floor settling to the new weight? Or, was the tank or stand going to break because it was not quite level? This is only my second tank ever, and after my 15 gallon column tank this is a lot bigger.

You'll need to take some better precaution in setting up a bigger tank in an old building, trust me on this;) start from the floor up, do you own a good level? Do you have quality shim shingle? I will get you set up, you need to follow instruction to the T though and not skimp on items.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

start from the floor up, do you own a good level? Do you have quality shim shingle?

I agree. Get your tank as level as possible. Pieces of floor tile will work as shims too. Set your tank on an outside wall if possible - larger tanks should be perpendicular to joists.

I have access to a very good level. I will have to buy shim shingle though. I decided to move the tank next to a load bearing wall and onto a better stand as well. Right now it is on a very sturdy but old table, which on closer inspection is not flat. So it gets to move to a flatter piece of furniture.

You can use pieces of heavy rubber or a doubled over yoga mat under the tank for imperfect surfaces

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

im guessing its the table ,if the floor can not support a 36 gal tank that building has a major problem and should be inspected by an engineer
that tank weighs less per square foot than a person , or appliances
1/8" off should not effect it mich mine is more than that
one way to get the floor to support the weight better is to put a piece of plywood under the stand to spread the weight load over more floor beams
ps tables are not designed to hold 300 lb which is about what a 36 gal tank weighs

Thanks for the advice. I have moved the tank to a stronger and flatter stand. I also got my machinist husband to level everything. While he did not sign off on it being level, there is less than 1/32 of an inch difference between any of the sides. I filled the tank back up and the creaking is gone. Thanks again for the help in my time of panic.

I live in a Victorian house built in the 1890's. I make sure as was suggested that everything is level. I've never had a tank bust through the floor but I have heard of it happening in newer houses. :)

Here is the tank now it is all set up and not creaking. Time to cycle.

Attachments

• IMG_20140825_201042.jpg
    IMG_20140825_201042.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 107
I will mostly likely add this piece of driftwood from my 15 gallon tank once I have moved over all of my fish.

Attachments

• IMG_20140825_203632.jpg
    IMG_20140825_203632.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom