Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
New Tank Faulty?

I just bought a new 10 gallon starter kit from Petcetra. I was assembling the tank today and I noticed that the lid doesnt fit to my satisfaction. There arent any instructions on how to assemble the tank lid so prehaps I have done something wrong....but i dont think so. The Lid has a lip on one end and pegs on the other. I would assume that all of them sit inside the lip of the aquarium but they dont. Only one half fits in. Therefore, the lid just floats ontop of the aquarium and any movement makes it fly off. Im so mad because I bought this tank out of town and I dont really have a way of exchanging it. Ill post some pics so that maybe you guys could tell me if Im doing something wrong. Thanks.

sugarloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
These are the rest of the pics. The tank lip, the gap I get when the lid "is on", and the picture on the packaging; which shows everthing fitting together nicely. Yah Right!

sugarloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Sometimes the lids are designed to fit several different tanks, so they put those pegs in that can be "snapped" off with pliers so that it fits your particular tank. You have to be sure that when you do snap off the pegs that the lid will rest on the lip and not go all the way into the water, of course. That might not be the issue in your case, but I have had this happen to me before on the lid to a 10-gal.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Personally, I would take the lid back to the store and ask for one that fits. There is nothing worse than buying something and it is "broken".
"Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven."

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"
Edgar Bergen (1903 - 1978)
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com