New Tank - Filter Query: please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

Hi to everyone. I'm new to the site here but would love some help in relation to water and filter changes for a relatively new Tank. I used to have a 4 foot
Tank bout ten years ago but my knowledge has got a bit rusty!

I recently brought a 2nd hand Aquaone 980T tank online from someone who was sick of his tank. The tank already had 2 golden severums when I got there and we were able to drain out 80 percent of the water, store it, transport the tank to my place and readd most of the water. Both fish survived, stabilized the ph and temperature (ph 7.5 and 26.5 degrees celxius).

Over the next week I began to stock up the tank. (2 silver sharks, 2 golden severums, 1 plecostomas, 1 blue
Dolphin, 1 electric yellow, 1 firemouth, 1 jewel cichlid, 1 clown loach). Hoping the ph and temp are ok?

My question is in relation to the cleaning. The person I brought the tabk off didn't seem to know much about the tank and I haven't had a tank this size for sometime. He said he hadn't cleaned the filter recently but I'm not sure what he cleaned when he did.

The filter is above the tank. My plan was to replace the wool, and clean the gravel (plus 25 percent water change) every two week.
Clean filter media every four weeks plus water change with aquarium water.

Does this sound ok?
Should I wait because I have new fish before try cleaning the wool, gravel or filter itself? How long should I wait?

The wool is quite brown, is that an indication to clean it now?
When I clean this do I just replace it with new cotton? Or wash it with aquarium water and put back in?
When u do a water change do I have to add water conditioner?

Lately when on yeh fourth week,

Any feedback about fish choice and ph etc would also be appreciated if I'm doing something wrong. Appreciate the help :)

I attached a photo of my tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388905115.412279.jpg

Mick

Back
Top Bottom