Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New tank hardware recommendations?

I'm upgrading to a much bigger African tank in my room.
The tank will be either a 4foot (220-275L), or a 5foot (395L).
I have been shopping around a bit online and in store to get an idea of what hardware I should incorporate.
In terms of Filtration I have decided I will go external, but is there such thing as having a too good filter for your tank? I have been looking at the aquaone (27000UVC) which is recommended for 400-700L and has 2700lp/h with 5w UV filter, and the Fluval 406 1450lp/h which is recommended for 400L. If I went a four foot tank would these both be overkill?

My other big question is in regards too lighting.
I was initially looking at T5's, but have decided that in the long term LED's are just so much more efficient and cheaper. But TBH I have no idea what kind of LED's I would need as I have only ever had bulbs before. As it is a African Cichlid tank, do I need all three spectrum's? If so what wattage and ratio?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

With Africans all you'll need is light for viewing your fish...many have tried to keep live plants with em(including myself)with little to no success..LEDs are nice also efficient but tend to be overly expensive...better off goin with lighting that will accentuate the brilliant colors of various African cichlids..for the filtration,double up or even more for what is reccomened for the tank size for which you choose(especially when dealing with Lake Malawi Cichlids)..

Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #3

And with Africans would there be any use of an 5w UV filter on my external?
Furthermore, should I use a powerhead for water flow with cichlids or not?

The reason that I was looking at LEDs over T5s is that the man at the speciality store (Jem Aquatics, Canberra, Australia) said the LEDs lasted 15-25years, but the T5 bulbs had to be replaced just bout once a year and that these added up to be far greater than the LEDs in a very short time. But are you saying that the T5s show cichlid colour better than the LEDs do?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #4

About the UV steriliser it definitely can't hurt but its not the end all be all for various algeas and diseases...my opinion is save your money there&apply it elsewhere in your setup..as for a powerhead I'd used to on my setup- 1 aimed towards the surface&another aimed towards the bottom to reduce dead zones...with the LEDs I suppose you'd be looking at the double bright fixtures,with these you'll get the bright white appearance throughout the tank with the possibility of a spotlight effect...with the T5's you can go with various bulb mixtures which can more so highlight the coloration of the Africans...
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd agree, opt out of the UV, get yourself a power head or two. I use a koralia 1025 and he helps debris from settling on the sand. Also I went with ATI bulbs to help enhance the colors of the fish.

Good luck!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

What power would you recommend for the power heads? 500lp/h range? 100lp/h? or would they need to be more?/Doesn't really matter?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezza44
What power would you recommend for the power heads? 500lp/h range? 100lp/h? or would they need to be more?/Doesn't really matter?
If its not strong enough then they are pointless. But if they are to strong then the fish can't swim it just blows them around.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd aim for something in the ball park of 700-1000 gph and in a 75 is buy two. If sometime down the road you may want to buy a wavemaker controller make sure you get power heads that can be hooked to it.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #9

Thanks, don't suppose you could point me toward a brand wavemaker? I'm just not sure what brands are trusted with that, the only aquarium supply brands I only really know of Aquaone, Eheim and Fluval in general.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Koralia is a solid product. I have the koralia 1025 in my 75 g African tank and it works well and isn't too strong.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com