New tank hardware recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cezza44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm upgrading to a much bigger African tank in my room.
The tank will be either a 4foot (220-275L), or a 5foot (395L).
I have been shopping around a bit online and in store to get an idea of what hardware I should incorporate.
In terms of Filtration I have decided I will go external, but is there such thing as having a too good filter for your tank? I have been looking at the aquaone (27000UVC) which is recommended for 400-700L and has 2700lp/h with 5w UV filter, and the Fluval 406 1450lp/h which is recommended for 400L. If I went a four foot tank would these both be overkill?

My other big question is in regards too lighting.
I was initially looking at T5's, but have decided that in the long term LED's are just so much more efficient and cheaper. But TBH I have no idea what kind of LED's I would need as I have only ever had bulbs before. As it is a African Cichlid tank, do I need all three spectrum's? If so what wattage and ratio?

With Africans all you'll need is light for viewing your fish...many have tried to keep live plants with em(including myself)with little to no success..LEDs are nice also efficient but tend to be overly expensive...better off goin with lighting that will accentuate the brilliant colors of various African cichlids..for the filtration,double up or even more for what is reccomened for the tank size for which you choose(especially when dealing with Lake Malawi Cichlids)..

And with Africans would there be any use of an 5w UV filter on my external?
Furthermore, should I use a powerhead for water flow with cichlids or not?

The reason that I was looking at LEDs over T5s is that the man at the speciality store (Jem Aquatics, Canberra, Australia) said the LEDs lasted 15-25years, but the T5 bulbs had to be replaced just bout once a year and that these added up to be far greater than the LEDs in a very short time. But are you saying that the T5s show cichlid colour better than the LEDs do?

About the UV steriliser it definitely can't hurt but its not the end all be all for various algeas and diseases...my opinion is save your money there&apply it elsewhere in your setup..as for a powerhead I'd used to on my setup- 1 aimed towards the surface&another aimed towards the bottom to reduce dead zones...with the LEDs I suppose you'd be looking at the double bright fixtures,with these you'll get the bright white appearance throughout the tank with the possibility of a spotlight effect...with the T5's you can go with various bulb mixtures which can more so highlight the coloration of the Africans...

I'd agree, opt out of the UV, get yourself a power head or two. I use a koralia 1025 and he helps debris from settling on the sand. Also I went with ATI bulbs to help enhance the colors of the fish.

Good luck!

What power would you recommend for the power heads? 500lp/h range? 100lp/h? or would they need to be more?/Doesn't really matter?

cezza44 said:
What power would you recommend for the power heads? 500lp/h range? 100lp/h? or would they need to be more?/Doesn't really matter?

If its not strong enough then they are pointless. But if they are to strong then the fish can't swim it just blows them around.

I'd aim for something in the ball park of 700-1000 gph and in a 75 is buy two. If sometime down the road you may want to buy a wavemaker controller make sure you get power heads that can be hooked to it.

Thanks, don't suppose you could point me toward a brand wavemaker? I'm just not sure what brands are trusted with that, the only aquarium supply brands I only really know of Aquaone, Eheim and Fluval in general.

Koralia is a solid product. I have the koralia 1025 in my 75 g African tank and it works well and isn't too strong.

Correct you can use the Hydor smartwave and probably other ones as well but I know the smartwave for sure.

There is one that says in reviews those can't be used on at Dr foster and smith. So look around to see what you can afford and what not.

Last edited:
Hardwares

Id probably get 3 or 4 aquaclear hob filters.

And get a few incandescent light fixtures hanging above if you hang enough you probably wont need a heater.

only issue with the aquaclears is they are more noisy aren't they? The tank will be in my bedroom that is why noise is issue.

I haven't been able to find many of the aforementioned wavemakers on ebay, does anyone know of a good online site for fish gear? That is available in Australia

Docter Foster & Smith is a good one to check out..also I use the aquaclear filters on 4 of my tanks&1 of those being in my bedroom with no noise issues..great filter easily customizable,I'd reccomend these over most available...the fluval c4 is also a very nice one to check out...

What are peoples opinions of the Eheim filters?
They appear to use less electricity but have less lp/h turnover.
I would have taken this as a negative but a guy I was talking to at a store said that out of AquaOne, Fluval and Eheim, Eheim were the best by and far.
Should I look at upping to a good Eheim or would a Fluval 406 be a solid purchase?

In terms of heater I am thinking a Eheim Jager 150-200w (depending on which tank I end up with), or maybe a Fluval M.

I'm new to the saltwater. I have a 30 gallon set up now. I'm now in the process of setting up a 140. I would like to know which filter system would be best for my setup. I've been looking at the fluval fx5 and the fluval g6. Any suggestions?

Ok, so this is what I have decided on... I think
My tank will be a 152x40x65cm 395L tank
and hardware wise (initially) I am going a Fluval G3 (700-1400lp/h) and a Fluval C2 (450lp/h), then a Jager 200W heater. I will get the wavemaker soon as my tank is set up.... and my bank account recovers a bit.

Sound solid? Or should I up for a bit more lp/h power?

Back
Top Bottom