New tank, is this acceptable.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Narkul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New Tetra tank from Petco $1 a gallon sale with bubbles in silicone. Looks a little scary. Two edges are like this. Is this common in Tetra tanks? I'm a little worried about filling it up.
DSC_0159.jpg

I've never seen that to be honest. I just bought a 10 gal. for some fry and when I got home and checked the tank (after it was set up) i noticed a crack in the corner of the glass. I'm not a fan of these tetra tanks, I wish they still had the aqueon ones for $1 per gallon

IMO, I wouldn't use it. Save yourself the hassle. Return it now and ask the manager to check the rest WITH YOU. It may be someone was having a bad day and that's not the only tank affected. You could be saving a lot of other people some headaches. Might want to send Tetra an email with a pic as well.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

tetra tanks are one of the most likely to burst ,
I would test fill outside first in-case it decides to bust a seam

I went back to the store and looked at the one other 40 that they had in stock and it looked good. Tetras quality control must be non existent to let that pass unless they feel bubbles between the glass are acceptable. The manager said to bring it back if I did not feel comfortable with it and seemed familiar with the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Def. Bring it back, scrutinize the new one, check the seals all the way up an under the rim, make sure panels are all square and flush. Had one crack, panels wernt properly aligned, not saying it was the sole contributor to the failure but......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gonna swap it out as soon as I can. I wish the tank had a brace across the top like it does underneath, it seems like that would reduce some stress on the seams. I'm still a little nervous about this brand now but $1 a gallon fits my budget.

I picked up the Fluval 36inch Aqualife and Plant LED fixture as it was half price. I hope its a good match for this size aquarium, its has 2580 lumens of 5200k light, any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's not all that strong of a light, it will do low/med. Light plants ok, you can build up the substrate to increase par.

I purchased a 55 tetra at petco and spent 45 min looking over all the seals and glass. I agree that the quality control is bad but for the price its worth the 45 min. May sound silly but I brought a magnifying glass with me also.

I purchased a 55 tetra at petco and spent 45 min looking over all the seals and glass. I agree that the quality control is bad but for the price its worth the 45 min. May sound silly but I brought a magnifying glass with me also.

Hahah, bet they were loving that.. if I ever buy another ill do the same thing..

Swapped it out today and it looked ok in the store but the bubbles really didn't stand out until I tested the fluval light on it, so I'll hook up the light a little later and give it a hard inspection.

I'll be looking for a filter next and I think an internal would work best. The two long sides and one short side of the aquarium will be visible since it will be set up on a room dividing counter top. There's not a good spot for a canister so that's out. I don't want a huge filter in the tank so I'm thinking of the inexpensive whisper internals that could suction cup to the end. Not sure what size though. The tank will be planted with low/med light plants and will be stocked with community fish.

Fluval U series internal filter looks enticing , 4 filter pads and a media container in what looks like a relatively small footprint. Not sure which size though, U2 or U3?

Back
Top Bottom