New Tank or Used....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater Man

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok The wife and myself decided we want a 125 saltwater for Christmas.. I am doing research to see what i need as this is all new to us we only have a 10ga freshwater now. So any advise would be great. I have been online trying to find places that sell 125 kits with stands and all but so far nothing compares to the price i can get locally. Thanks for your help.

Jumping from a 10 gallon freshwater to a 125 SW, you're going to have a heck of a price jump. I suggest going on eBay - they frequently sell set-ups with stand, tank, canopy, sand, live rock, etc local.

No big deal going used - half my tanks are. These things don't have great resale value. Just make sure you get lots of pictures and pay in person.

Hey welcome to AA. Online places like All Glass Co. do not ship to individual buyer(s). They only ship to retailers such as SuperPetz,Petco,and LFS. As for ebay, sellers won't ship."local pickup only". Go to Superpetz in Wildwood if you live in the B'ham area. They have lowest price in town for the 125 gal tank,and cabinet stand. GoodLuck!

IfoundNemo said:
Hey welcome to AA. Go to Superpetz in Wildwood if you live in the B'ham area. They have lowest price in town for the 125 gal tank,and cabinet stand. GoodLuck!

Thanks IFN...

Well we have bought a 135G SW tank that is running and we are going to pick it up Friday. Right now i am up for any advise as to how to set this back up when we get it here. We are taking some of the rock out as to the entire tank has rock in it. Also the lr in the bottom has way to much shells and stuff in it so i am wanting to change this also. It has 25 hermit crabs and only one small fish that the owners didnt know what type. We are going to add more fish but want the mushrooms in the tank to grow. it has many small ones and different colors. Do i need to do a water chnage in the move as the man said he hasnt done one in 6 months. If so how much do i change? So help....lol.

For moving, you're going to need buckets, and a lot of them :) You're going to need to empty most/all of the water from the tank to move it (moving full tanks is a nono), so you need spots to put the rock and sand, which is where the buckets come in.

What kind of filtration did that tank have? Lighting? Any idea on the fish species?

Hey I am in Tuscaloosa, if i can be of any service I would love to help! Or any advice just got my 55 into a 125, so I am very experienced on the moving part ;).

Rubbermaid storage totes make great water shippers, so do their roughneck trash cans. Make sure they are new and clean, then use a PH and tubing from Menards/Home Depot to pump the water from the tank into the containers.

Make sure to check your vehicle/trailers weight capacity, as saltwater weighs about 8.5 lbs / gallon.

IE: a 2003 Jeep Liberty has a payload capacity of 1150 lbs.

Subtract 1 200 lb driver and 1 130 lb spouse and get 820 lbs

Add a tank and water...you can see where I am going.

Better safe then sorry.

Remember...rocks and livestock have weight too.

I dont want to bring the party down but....

Just to let you know you will be shelling out at least 2000.00 bucks easy to just get your tank setup and running decently.

So just be very sure that you want a big SW tank before you go buy it.

I have a 37 gallon myself and I have put in close to 1500.00 bucks worth of stuff so far.

8O 8O 8O

Back
Top Bottom