new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crook280

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi-
I'm new to here but i have had fish tanks for a few years. I'm no expert but i know i bit. anyways, i have this idea for a setup, but was wondering if it would work or if it isn't a good idea. i was think of a "closed" system so to speak. it would basically be sealed except where an automatic feeder would be. i would use a sump or refugium just depends. the display tank would be connected to the sump from holes cut out of the glass. i have a ten gallon tank now with a sump and the sump is basically sealed up except for where tubes and wires come out. in the summer it gets pretty hot. i figured heat would be the main problem. i was just thinking of a way to minimize water lose and salt build up. thanks for your input.

Its a bad idea.

You need oxygen exchange over the surface of the water. Running with a closed top also builds up CO2 which can quickly drop your pH to unacceptable levels.

How would you do water changes if it was all closed? Better yet add fish? Maybe your defintion of closed isnt the same as mine

i would have just put a piece of glass on top that i could take off for any reason i needed to. i figured it wasn't a good idea, thanks. but how do you guys deal with water loss and salt build up? would you cover the sump or tank at all? thanks again

You do lose water. You need to topoff fresh (non salt) water on a regular basis.

Me? I did an electric floatswitch for an autotopoff. Water level in sump drops, pump turns on, fills with fresh water from resevoir

Back
Top Bottom