New Tank what filter to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scheen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a new 75 gallon tank. I am currently using an emperor filter, a 8 watt UV sterlizer, and a protien skimmer. I started with live sand and 80 lbs of live rock. I am thinking about moving to a sump system. I am wondering if thats smart and what brand would be the best for a reef system?

You could buy any brand name sump already made RTG.However, you could build your own sump and save lots of money. Some people built their own sump with a 10gal tank which can be purchase for $10 at local WalMart. I recommend using crushed LR instead of the Bio Balls in your sump, because they are consider a nitrate factory.

WELCOME TO AA!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Nice to see another Minnesotan here! If you have the means go for a sump. It will add water volume to system and, therefore, you will see less dramatic changes in water parameters. The higher the water volume you have, the more stable your tank will be. Besides that, a sump gives you a nice place to hide a lot of things. You can put your skimmer in there, heaters, it is a good place to dose trace elements and other chemicals. You can certainly buy a perbuilt sump. I have a Pro Clear 150 with a built in skimmer on my 72 gal. bow front. It like it just fine. However, you can put your own together for much less $$. I agree that you should skip the bio-balls and use LR rubble as your filter media. YOur Emperor will do just fine for now if you wanted to wait. Where do you buy most of your stuff?

Hey thanks for the advice, I thought I would buy a prebuilt sump just to make it easier. I get most of my stuff from sea dreams off of 42 and wet world off yankee doodle. DO you know any brand that are better for prebuilt?

I live about 5 min from Sea Dreams. I like my Pro Clear 150. The built-in skimmer option is very nice.

Back
Top Bottom