Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New to Canisters!

I just purchased a FX5 and was wondering what would be a good way to set up the media? I didn see any post detailing the media setup. Thanx everyone.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

Top tray should have a fine/polishing media. Their fine and polishing medias are good but using 100% polyester pillow stuffing will save you big time. Cram this in as tight as you can get it.

The bottom two should be filled with a biomedia. I suggest Seachem Matrix because it has more bioavailable surface area than Fluval or Eheim's biomedias. It should take about two liters of Matrix to fill the two trays.

What fish are you going to have?
What tank size?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off thanx. For the time being it's going on a 46. I'm trying to get my hands on a 75. Some tigers, red tail and a Raphael so far not sure what else.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #4

Tiger and redtail what?

You will have a lot a of flow for a 46. I would turn the outputs around so they face the back glass of the tank and then point them in opposite directions along the back of the tank. This will spread out the flow really well.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Redtail shark and tiger barbs.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw a you tube video for a 1/2 pvc spray-bar. I'm going to try it. Maybe a 2'.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
Redtail shark and tiger barbs.
A Red-Tail Shark should be in a 55 gal minimum as they have territorial aggression as they mature ... a 75 gal will work fine. With RTS ensure you have plenty of territories for it to claim via DW, plants, ornaments and caves.
Even they will still show some aggression. My RTS will chase the Tiger Barbs, but none of the other Barbs during feeding. All other times it just swims about looking for food.

How many Tiger Barbs are you considering? It should be a minimum of 6, a combination of the Regular, Albino and Green Tiger Barbs make a nice color combination.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got 12 tiger barbs.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Top tray should have a fine/polishing media. Their fine and polishing medias are good but using 100% polyester pillow stuffing will save you big time. Cram this in as tight as you can get it.
I am not familiar with the FX5 (I have a Eheim 2028), but if the FX5 is anything like an Eheim, be sure to use a mesh filter bag to keep the polyester pillow stuffing confined to the tray, or use the bonded version. Otherwise, loose filaments of the stuffing will get caught in your impeller and/or blown into your tank. I use the bonded version (it is also sold as quilt batting). Get the type that has no mildew preventing chemicals or fire-proofing.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #10

That may depend on the exact type of floss you use. I never have any issues. It should also be after the foam but before all the biomedia.

Tags
canister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com