Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #11

I don't really consider HOB filtration to be "dated" -- perhaps UNDER GRAVEL filters are, or those "in the corner charcoal box filters" -- but to me, when someone says the word "external," it indicates a filter that is OUTSIDE of the tank, whether hanging on the back OR sitting inside a cabinet (like a canister)...

Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your probably right im running to internals atm and have never used any external filtration. I was recomended to switch to external to free some space in the tank. It just came across that external implied the canister models. My bad

Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudfudge View Post
Your probably right im running to internals atm and have never used any external filtration. I was recomended to switch to external to free some space in the tank. It just came across that external implied the canister models. My bad
I don't think your wrong, 'Externals' would be the general term for just Canisters. Filters are filters, whether they be internal, external, HOB's. They are just put into categories for convenience.
I agree with both Artesia and Rudfudge!!. Generally when you refer to an 'External' filter most people would assume you mean a canister, which whether technically right or wrong, is the accepted term for a Canister. I guess a HOB is also external but it saves people always asking you if you mean "HOB or Canister".
I agree with Artesia that HOBs would not be considered dated. They don't seem to very popular in the British Isles but in the US, they seem to still be very popular. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get from our US members. I think the lack of choice and/or quality HOB's in the UK/Ireland, has resulted in less popularity. I think the Fluval C range might change that opinion. I am a fan of both and personally I don't think one is better than the other. They both do the same job but just in different circumstances. Canisters are generally geared towards larger tanks, 25+g, where as HOB's would be for anything from 5+g's upwards....
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #14

Perhaps, in retrospect, "EXTERNAL" could in fact refer to just canisters as HOBs DO flow water back INTO the tank via a "waterfall" style...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #15

Ian -- please see your PM box...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Perhaps, in retrospect, "EXTERNAL" could in fact refer to just canisters as HOBs DO flow water back INTO the tank via a "waterfall" style...
Yes. They're is no right or wrong really. But for convenience sake, if I ask you, "What filter do you have??" and you say HOB, I know exactly what you mean. If you say 'external' I assume you mean canister. Don't you think it's easier to class Canisters as 'externals', Hobs as well, Hob's!! and Internals as internals. If you class both HOB's and Canisters as external, people have to then as you "Canister or Hob".....
Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #17

Yeah, I don't know; for what it's worth, I consider both styles of filters -- which are pretty much the main choices for mainstream filtration -- as being EXTERNAL because they are physically out of the tank for the most part...

There ARE those crappy "internal" filters that come with like starter kits and such and are usually awful to use, but those are CLEARLY internal...but STILL...those filters DO trickle water back INTO the tank via a small, weak waterfall, so...

Well, whatever; to me, HOBs and canisters will be EXTERNAL filters...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudfudge View Post
Thanks guys. Im thinking tetratec is the one im going to go for. I dont want a super cheap one but eheim is a little pricey. The ex1200 seems to be the obvious for the sheer amount of lph and the 5 level filter and after watching a video on youtube it seems easy to set up. How long would you recomend to run both internal and external filters to not loose the cycle?
Good choice. Just so you know, there was an 'issue' a few years back with the Ex1200 leaking. This has long been since resolved. I believe it was with the O ring, which seals the inside of the canister. They replaced the ring with a thicker one, which sorted that problem. As I said, this was a few years ago, just in case you read those reviews. It wasn't too widespread but as I said they resolved it. Personally I would honestly have no problem buying one, if I had the money!!!.
Also if you find the flow 'too strong', the EX's have taps on the inflow and outflow. Closing the outflow(the return to the tank) tap slightly will reduce the flow....
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

You guys are forgetting about sumps, the Mac daddy of external filters.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravereaper0 View Post
You guys are forgetting about sumps, the Mac daddy of external filters.
Don't you need to drill the tank for a sump??

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com