New to external filters....please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudfudge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys sorry to keep asking questions. Ive just been recomended on another thread to maybe switch to an external filter. Ive got a 55gal uk tank. I dont really want to drill holes in my tank etc. But have no clue on which filter is good or bad as ive always had internals. Any ideas people. Thanks in advance
Simon

Hi guys sorry to keep asking questions. Ive just been recomended on another thread to maybe switch to an external filter. Ive got a 55gal uk tank. I dont really want to drill holes in my tank etc. But have no clue on which filter is good or bad as ive always had internals. Any ideas people. Thanks in advance
Simon
Hey Simon. Don't apologize for asking questions. That's what this site is for!!. For externals, have a look at Fluvals, TetraTecs. All Pond Solutions do a TetraTec copy very cheap, around £70. These are ideal if you are on a budget. If not, I would go for the Fluvals or TetraTec. Just make sure you do a bit of overkill on the filter. You don't want to get something rated for just 55g, go for something rated for say 70-100+g. The more the better...... Also you want something with a flowrate 5-7 times your tank volume. Eg, if you have 200ltrs, you want a flow rate of at least 1000lph
You could also get a HOB filter but you will need two for a 55g. If you have the room and the budget, have a look at the Fluval C range. Excellent filters with great reviews.....

Thanks. Ive had a look at both. Have you had experience with both. It looks like the tetrarec one is around £30 more expensive and filters 1400 lph and the cheaper one at all ponds filters 2000lph but im guessing its not just about the volume?

Thanks. Ive had a look at both. Have you had experience with both. It looks like the tetrarec one is around £30 more expensive and filters 1400 lph and the cheaper one at all ponds filters 2000lph but im guessing its not just about the volume?
I only have experience with the TetraTec's. I have an EX700 on my 55g. It does a great job but if I was starting over, I would've went for the EX1200. The All Pond one, I don't have any experience with but it got decent reviews on Practical Fish Keeping(UK). If you have the budget go for the EX1200. All Ponds haven't been around long enough to say how their filters work long term.
With the volume though, most people say they are not accurate numbers. I have read reports from people who have tested their externals and say the actual lph can be as much as 30-50% less than the manufacturer's stated lph(litres per hour!!).
Our American friends will suggest Fluvals, as I don't think the TetraTec are available Stateside. They are also an excellent filter. My only gripe with them is the hose's, which are ripped, which are a pain to clean. They can be replaced with 'straight' hoses though.
If you want the Ferrari of filters and have the budget, Eheims are the way to go. Proven track record and are known to last a LONG time, I have heard of people having them for 20+yrs!!!

You don't need to drill any holes

Canister filters are easy to install and take care of just read the instructions before you go to set it up then read them again and again

Most do a ok job

Which one you buy all depends on one thing BUDGET

Thanks guys. Im thinking tetratec is the one im going to go for. I dont want a super cheap one but eheim is a little pricey. The ex1200 seems to be the obvious for the sheer amount of lph and the 5 level filter and after watching a video on youtube it seems easy to set up. How long would you recomend to run both internal and external filters to not loose the cycle?

What's the difference between "external" filters and actual HOBs? Does "external" refer primarily to canisters? I ask because it seems to me that ANY filter that goes OUTSIDE a tank could be called an "external"...

From all the reading ive been doing the last couple days externals really does refer to canister and the HOB's seem to be refered to as dated and not very popular anymore

From all the reading ive been doing the last couple days externals really does refer to canister and the HOB's seem to be refered to as dated and not very popular anymore

Huh?

Are you saying "EXTERNAL" is supposed to refer to CANISTERS while HOBs are simply "DATED" as FILTERS? Or are you saying the term "HOB" is a DATED reference and both CANISTER and HOB FILTERS are both now considered EXTERNAL FILTERS?

Well im no expert but reading around forums and the web whenever you talk external, cansiters are 99% of the response and search results that come back. HOB's seem to be a dated form of filtration now. I maybe wrong its just the impression ive got it the last couple of days of reading up

I don't really consider HOB filtration to be "dated" -- perhaps UNDER GRAVEL filters are, or those "in the corner charcoal box filters" -- but to me, when someone says the word "external," it indicates a filter that is OUTSIDE of the tank, whether hanging on the back OR sitting inside a cabinet (like a canister)...

Your probably right im running to internals atm and have never used any external filtration. I was recomended to switch to external to free some space in the tank. It just came across that external implied the canister models. My bad ;-)

Your probably right im running to internals atm and have never used any external filtration. I was recomended to switch to external to free some space in the tank. It just came across that external implied the canister models. My bad ;-)
I don't think your wrong, 'Externals' would be the general term for just Canisters. Filters are filters, whether they be internal, external, HOB's. They are just put into categories for convenience.
I agree with both Artesia and Rudfudge!!. Generally when you refer to an 'External' filter most people would assume you mean a canister, which whether technically right or wrong, is the accepted term for a Canister. I guess a HOB is also external but it saves people always asking you if you mean "HOB or Canister".
I agree with Artesia that HOBs would not be considered dated. They don't seem to very popular in the British Isles but in the US, they seem to still be very popular. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get from our US members. I think the lack of choice and/or quality HOB's in the UK/Ireland, has resulted in less popularity. I think the Fluval C range might change that opinion. I am a fan of both and personally I don't think one is better than the other. They both do the same job but just in different circumstances. Canisters are generally geared towards larger tanks, 25+g, where as HOB's would be for anything from 5+g's upwards....

Last edited:
Perhaps, in retrospect, "EXTERNAL" could in fact refer to just canisters as HOBs DO flow water back INTO the tank via a "waterfall" style...

Perhaps, in retrospect, "EXTERNAL" could in fact refer to just canisters as HOBs DO flow water back INTO the tank via a "waterfall" style...
Yes. They're is no right or wrong really. But for convenience sake, if I ask you, "What filter do you have??" and you say HOB, I know exactly what you mean. If you say 'external' I assume you mean canister. Don't you think it's easier to class Canisters as 'externals', Hobs as well, Hob's!! and Internals as internals. If you class both HOB's and Canisters as external, people have to then as you "Canister or Hob".....

Yeah, I don't know; for what it's worth, I consider both styles of filters -- which are pretty much the main choices for mainstream filtration -- as being EXTERNAL because they are physically out of the tank for the most part...

There ARE those crappy "internal" filters that come with like starter kits and such and are usually awful to use, but those are CLEARLY internal...but STILL...those filters DO trickle water back INTO the tank via a small, weak waterfall, so...

Well, whatever; to me, HOBs and canisters will be EXTERNAL filters...

Thanks guys. Im thinking tetratec is the one im going to go for. I dont want a super cheap one but eheim is a little pricey. The ex1200 seems to be the obvious for the sheer amount of lph and the 5 level filter and after watching a video on youtube it seems easy to set up. How long would you recomend to run both internal and external filters to not loose the cycle?
Good choice. Just so you know, there was an 'issue' a few years back with the Ex1200 leaking. This has long been since resolved. I believe it was with the O ring, which seals the inside of the canister. They replaced the ring with a thicker one, which sorted that problem. As I said, this was a few years ago, just in case you read those reviews. It wasn't too widespread but as I said they resolved it. Personally I would honestly have no problem buying one, if I had the money!!!.
Also if you find the flow 'too strong', the EX's have taps on the inflow and outflow. Closing the outflow(the return to the tank) tap slightly will reduce the flow....

Back
Top Bottom