Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New to external filters....please help

Hi guys sorry to keep asking questions. Ive just been recomended on another thread to maybe switch to an external filter. Ive got a 55gal uk tank. I dont really want to drill holes in my tank etc. But have no clue on which filter is good or bad as ive always had internals. Any ideas people. Thanks in advance
Simon

Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudfudge View Post
Hi guys sorry to keep asking questions. Ive just been recomended on another thread to maybe switch to an external filter. Ive got a 55gal uk tank. I dont really want to drill holes in my tank etc. But have no clue on which filter is good or bad as ive always had internals. Any ideas people. Thanks in advance
Simon
Hey Simon. Don't apologize for asking questions. That's what this site is for!!. For externals, have a look at Fluvals, TetraTecs. All Pond Solutions do a TetraTec copy very cheap, around £70. These are ideal if you are on a budget. If not, I would go for the Fluvals or TetraTec. Just make sure you do a bit of overkill on the filter. You don't want to get something rated for just 55g, go for something rated for say 70-100+g. The more the better...... Also you want something with a flowrate 5-7 times your tank volume. Eg, if you have 200ltrs, you want a flow rate of at least 1000lph
You could also get a HOB filter but you will need two for a 55g. If you have the room and the budget, have a look at the Fluval C range. Excellent filters with great reviews.....

Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. Ive had a look at both. Have you had experience with both. It looks like the tetrarec one is around £30 more expensive and filters 1400 lph and the cheaper one at all ponds filters 2000lph but im guessing its not just about the volume?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks. Ive had a look at both. Have you had experience with both. It looks like the tetrarec one is around £30 more expensive and filters 1400 lph and the cheaper one at all ponds filters 2000lph but im guessing its not just about the volume?
I only have experience with the TetraTec's. I have an EX700 on my 55g. It does a great job but if I was starting over, I would've went for the EX1200. The All Pond one, I don't have any experience with but it got decent reviews on Practical Fish Keeping(UK). If you have the budget go for the EX1200. All Ponds haven't been around long enough to say how their filters work long term.
With the volume though, most people say they are not accurate numbers. I have read reports from people who have tested their externals and say the actual lph can be as much as 30-50% less than the manufacturer's stated lph(litres per hour!!).
Our American friends will suggest Fluvals, as I don't think the TetraTec are available Stateside. They are also an excellent filter. My only gripe with them is the hose's, which are ripped, which are a pain to clean. They can be replaced with 'straight' hoses though.
If you want the Ferrari of filters and have the budget, Eheims are the way to go. Proven track record and are known to last a LONG time, I have heard of people having them for 20+yrs!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

You don't need to drill any holes

Canister filters are easy to install and take care of just read the instructions before you go to set it up then read them again and again

Most do a ok job

Which one you buy all depends on one thing BUDGET
Old 06-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys. Im thinking tetratec is the one im going to go for. I dont want a super cheap one but eheim is a little pricey. The ex1200 seems to be the obvious for the sheer amount of lph and the 5 level filter and after watching a video on youtube it seems easy to set up. How long would you recomend to run both internal and external filters to not loose the cycle?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #7

What's the difference between "external" filters and actual HOBs? Does "external" refer primarily to canisters? I ask because it seems to me that ANY filter that goes OUTSIDE a tank could be called an "external"...
Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

From all the reading ive been doing the last couple days externals really does refer to canister and the HOB's seem to be refered to as dated and not very popular anymore
Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
From all the reading ive been doing the last couple days externals really does refer to canister and the HOB's seem to be refered to as dated and not very popular anymore
Huh?

Are you saying "EXTERNAL" is supposed to refer to CANISTERS while HOBs are simply "DATED" as FILTERS? Or are you saying the term "HOB" is a DATED reference and both CANISTER and HOB FILTERS are both now considered EXTERNAL FILTERS?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well im no expert but reading around forums and the web whenever you talk external, cansiters are 99% of the response and search results that come back. HOB's seem to be a dated form of filtration now. I maybe wrong its just the impression ive got it the last couple of days of reading up

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com