New to nitrate reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 150 gallon saltwater FOWLR. I recently bought 2 BRS nitrate reactors and the BRS bio-pellets. I bought 2 because each can only hold enough pellets for 75 gallons. Either way, they have been up and churning for 5 days. After the second day my filter socks began clogging up after a number of hours, not days. I've been swapping them out when practical and as often as necessary. Today the water had a slight haze to it.

Now, from what I have learned from my research this is normal when starting up a nitrate reactor with pellets. I've been checking my pH and it is holding pretty good at 7.9 (api kit) and kH is 8.5.

My skimmer seems to be working pretty good so I'll just stay on top of that and I'll keep swapping out the filter socks when I can. Is there anything else I can or need to do? I know the haze will pass, but how long will the filter sock phenomena last for? Should I keep the lights off?

The fish (Porcupine Puffer, Antennata Lion, Golden Eel, Yellow Tang, Harelquin Tusk) don't seem too bothered by it. They are swimming around and all had good appetites today.

Biopellets take around 6-8 weeks to start working. Did you soak the pellets before using?

Do you have the output from both reactors near your skimmer's input?

I have them both pointed in the general direction of the skimmer intake. That's all I can really do with a reef octopus.

Ok, I'm starting to get a little concerned. I have slightly hazy water, the filter socks still need to be changed multiple times a day, and my skimmer is working overtime. In had to adjust it down because it was dumping out straight water.

I plan on just staying the course and hoping all this madness ends.

I just want to make sure this isn't harmful to my fish, because that is the most important thing to me.

Did you start will the full recommended amount of pellets? Should start with half or even better a quarter of the recommended and then add more later.

Yes, I did start with the full amount. Would it be beneficial for me to remove 1/2 of them at this point or is it too late and I need to ride it out.

That's a tough one. How cloudy is the water?

I probably would take some out. What ever you take out be sure to rinse in rodi to clean off any bacteria then let soak in clean rodi water.

It's hazy. Not really cloudy. In think ill split the contents from one into two. Do I need to store the pellets in rodi?

Like i said before , i can deal with the haze and filter socks. I just have an attachment to my aqua-pets. It breaks my heart when something I take care of a harmed or killed by my mistake.

Store in rodi after rinsing so you don't get anymore bacteria growths. Or dry them out completely.

Back
Top Bottom