New to ro/di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TmeLrd11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am about to buy the AquaFX Dolphin 3 stage RO/DI unit so I have a couple of questions before I get it. First, does anyone have this model? Does it work well? Second, do I need to add anything to the water coming out of the unit or can I just mix in salt and put it in my tank?

I would recommend a different system. 3 stage RO DI can work, but you will prematurely wear your RO membrane, and you will go through DI resin much faster. Both of these add of rather quickly, and are the most expensive parts to replace in a system. It is much better to have a 4 or better yet 5 stage system, that includes some additional prefiltering before the water hits your membrane. These prefilters are about 10% of the cost of a new membrane, so it is worth the upfront cost to save some money in the long run.

That being said, a really reliable and good system can be had for not much more than the system you are looking at. BRS sells a great 5 stage system for $199, or $179 if you get in on a Group Buy. The 5 stage plus I linked you to also includes a PSI gauge (something you really do need to know when it is time to replace the prefilters, especially the sediment filter) and it also includes a dual TDS meter, so you can see the TDS in to the DI canister (to know how your RO membrane is doing) and the TDS out of the DI canister (so you know how good the water is, and when it is time to replace the resin).

And yes, you do not have to add anything else to the water, except salt mix for water changes. For top off, it is ready to go - no dechlor any any other chemicals required.

Thanks so much! I will get in on a group buy next month after I pay off my vacation bills lol. Does it matter what I store the water in or can I get a Rubbermaid container and use that?

Yes, rubbermaid containers are just fine.

You might want to think about how you are going to move the water from your holding container to your top of reservoir, or tank.

I set mine up on a shelf that is mounted up high in my laundry room. I have 2 12 Gal reservoirs (1 for mixing saltwater, and one for straight RODI for top off water). When I do a water change/fill up my auto top off reservoir by the tank, all I do is run a hose from the laundry room out to my tank, and let gravity do the work.
19738-albums9044-picture34932.jpg

If you set it up on the ground, that will work too. You will just need a pump to move the water.

I should also note that the system you mentioned in the first post is actually just RO, not DI so you would not get 0tds water out of that system.

Back
Top Bottom