Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Srush
New Water Submersible Water Heater Help!

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I just had my heaters go bad on my 75 gallon tank and I need to order replacements.
I had EBO Jaegers TS models and almost cooked my tank/fish.
I won't purchase them again, no matter what.
I like to purchase (2) 200 Watt fully submersible water heaters.
I've been trying to find reviews but now I'd like to know from fellow hobbyist ... what do you recommend?
I'd also like any suggestions on where to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
This is my first day on this website/forum.

Regards,
Scott

Old 10-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my experience, and also from talking to other experienced hobbyists I trust, the one heater that keeps coming up again and again as the most reliable you can buy in unbreakable, full submergible heaters is the VisiTherm Stealth line.

200W heater currently on sale at Dr. Foster Smith for $17.79. Many LFS will carry the Stealth line of heaters but my experience is that often the prices in pet stores is nearly DOUBLE the price DFS sells them for online. I needed to buy a 50W one for my 10 gal tank recently; PetSmart was selling it for $29.95 while the online price from the link above was $15.29 -- half the cost. Even with shipping, it's probably cheaper to order it online, and if you need some other supplies as well and can put in a big order, then the shipping price goes down even more.

I currently have two tanks with these heaters and have had absolutely no problems.

EDIT: After looking at that site again, I also ran across listings for something called the VisiTherm Stealth Deluxe heaters. Hard to tell exactly what the difference between the two is, as I've never seen a "deluxe" model in person. Anyway, thought I'd mention it.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO 4 watts of heater per gallon is a reasonable estimate

So 4x 75G= 300 watts of heater is plenty. I would look for 2x 150watt heaters. Stealth heaters state that a 250 watt heater is good for 75G with 18Deg over ambient temps
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Srush
Thanks for putting me onto this site.
I save a lot of money by going there.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 10-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure thing, glad it was helpful. Dr. Foster Smith isn't by any means the only place online that sells them, but it was the cheapest I found when I was looking.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another option is to ask Petsmart to price match. They will usually price match their own on line store which will save you the price of shipping and it means you can get the heater today. Often the difference in shipping is enough to make their on-line prices quite attarctive.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

it used to be better the 250w was only $20 now its a lot more.... i think there would still be a fair amount of savings by buying online. its always better to have 2 smaller heaters then one big one. if one goes out or gets stuck on its harder to freeze your fish or boil them with smaller heaters.

i only use steath heaters too.... always have a few back ups too.

Tags
eat, eater, heater, submersible

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com