Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

new XP3...air in filter

I know this has probably been asked a zillion times now.... I just set up my new XP3 last night on my 55g. There seems to be a lot of air bubbles in the filter under the intake, and they cause a bit of impeller noise as well as gurgling-water noise. Granted, I can't hear it over the noise of the SW tank's skimmer unless I put my head in the stand of the 55, but I thought these things were supposed to be essentially silent....any tricks to get rid of that air? I did try rocking the filter around to bleed out some of the air and that helped a little. Otherwise it seems to run fine and the rainbows are loving the current.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Atl300zx
when i set mine up, i filled up the filter completely to the point when i put the lid on, it slightly overflowed. Then i used the techinique described in the manual for priming the lines using the funnel. Then i just plugged it in. After a few seconds mine was/is completely silent and hasnt given me any trouble.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I think I have an air problem, not an impeller problem. The filter had only been on for about 10 hrs when I listened this AM so I'll be interested to see what it is doing when I get home tonight.

BTW, has anyone actually managed to get the hoses on 2"?? how the heck did you do it? I know I'm a weakling, but really.....
Old 10-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also believe you have a air lock problem. Rockin the filter a little more tonight should solve it.

Stick the end of the hose into very hot water for a few seconds.
Softens them up, and they slide right on.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can also try to reprime it by taking the lid off and putting it back on a couple times. This tends to get a bit more water into the filter each time, pushing the water out.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
src
Aquarium Advice Freak

I frequently get a lot of air trapped in one of my XP2's (it has a skimmer intake). The simple fix is to unplug the filter and release ONE of the latches holding the top on. The air will escape, replaced by water from the hoses. Once the body is full again (you might get a trickle of water), re-fasten the latch.

Takes about 5 seconds total.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks everyone! great advice. Hopefully one or all of these will fix the problem. I didn't get home until late last night so didn't get a chance to mess with the filter at all.

Tags
air, filter, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com