Newb Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlDente67

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello forum,

I recently began doing live planting in a 55-gallon freshwater tank, and I'm investigating replacement of the stock hood light for something better.

What interests me the most at this point are the Power Compact models which have both the day bulb pair plus the moonglow LEDs. Although it seems that the combo hoods always come with Actinic bulbs as well. Since I don't have a reef tank, I don't have any use for the Actinics, right?

For example, the following two links on ebay show what seems to be a really good price for what you get:

ODYSSEA 48" 260W Aquarium Power Compact Light 3 cords - eBay (item 290215081472 end time Mar-23-08 16:54:54 PDT)

48'' Power Compact Aquarium Light 4X 65 w/ moon LUNAR - eBay (item 120234797729 end time Mar-27-08 07:58:11 PDT)

Note, I'm in no way shilling for those sellers, these are just examples.
One includes a plastic shield and the other one does not (should I have this to protect the bulbs?) Also, some of these come with 12000 day bulbs, and I was under the impression that 6000-10000 is the correct range. Am I wrong?

If Actinics would be a waste for my application, can anyone suggest a low-cost alternative that includes adequate daylight with moonglow?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back
Top Bottom