Newbie at sumps needs help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I picked up a 60g cube today and it came with a 20x12x12 sump. The tank has is already drilled and so is the sump. I have never used a sump. Is a 10g ok for a 60g? I know nothing about overflow,top offs, and stuff like that so please tell me!
Thanks!

A sump is basically another smaller tank usually under the bigger tank, you can store things in it like your heater, filter, and or medications and this purpose is so that anything in the tank such as a big heater wont be a big eye sore to people who see the tank. Its kind of like a big canister.

A sump is basically another smaller tank usually under the bigger tank, you can store things in it like your heater, filter, and or medications and this purpose is so that anything in the tank such as a big heater wont be a big eye sore to people who see the tank. Its kind of like a big canister.

So what pipes/valves will i need? Anyone have a video on them? If you have than please leave a link!

Youtube! There is a really professional guy on YouTube thats all about sumps, search "How to setup sumps" and I think his channel name is urajoey. He will tell you all about them and how two set them up.

Youtube! There is a really professional guy on YouTube thats all about sumps, search "How to setup sumps" and I think his channel name is urajoey. He will tell you all about them and how two set them up.

I have watched his vids, he doesnt have anything specificly about sumps tho

I have watched his vids, he doesnt have anything specificly about sumps tho
He has videos on everything. Look at the fluidized bed sump videos hes made.. I think those have some help on setting up a sump. also on his how to build a large aquarium he has i believe 2x 55 gallon drums set up for his sump, which is in another room than his display tank which has 2 stingrays and a crapton of discus

Check out Fragtasticreef.com he has a bunch of skimmer with their description.

Do you have a return pump that will pump the water from the sump back into the main tank?

This is how i got my 49 gallon breeder set up. As you can see the black flexible hose is my drain and the skimmer is in the drain section then it flows into the refug and then bubble trap and then in to the return where a pump pumps it back in.

Attachments

• image-593325393.jpg
    image-593325393.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 44
This is how i got my 49 gallon breeder set up. As you can see the black flexible hose is my drain and the skimmer is in the drain section then it flows into the refug and then bubble trap and then in to the return where a pump pumps it back in.

My sump only has 3 sections, one for the overflow, one for the skimmer, and one for the return. If i wanted to make a fuge, where would i put it? After or before thr skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom