Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ehem... That's non-iodized salt you picked up at Walmart, right?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie
Well I just ran to walmart and grabbed some aquarium salt at like 11:30 lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenezlee
She got the right stuff.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

You're right, she did say aquarium salt, my bad.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Should be OK then. You're fine at this, just having a rough start and the benefit of that is once you're more experienced you'll have a lot of knowledge to pass along.
That's true mr limpet. Lol hopefully I'll learn from this. I am learning. And thank u guys
Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenezlee
Thanks for checking. I was told I could use table salt but I was scared to
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im going to try and pick up a better heater today. You guys think I should pick up some sort of ich medication as well? Im nervous bc my ammo and nitrites are .25 but I'm waiting to to a PWC until I get a heater... I think that's why I stressed them. Everything has gone wrong! LOL Also How easy does ich spread bc. I use the same cups and buckets and test tubes for my 55 and I was going to move the neons and pleco to the 55 whenever it's ready but I sure don't want to spread ich. How do I rid my tank of it?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

It will spread if you share equipment. The std recommendation is to have a set for each tank. I don't follow it to the letter. When I had a fish with icht the salt and temp at 86 took care of it, when treating I keep in a small 10G hospital tank and that one has its own net, heater & filter. If the heat/salt doesn't work for you I wouldn't hesitate using medication (as per instructions).

Are you comfortable with how to do the salt & heat method?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenezlee View Post
It will spread if you share equipment. The std recommendation is to have a set for each tank. I don't follow it to the letter. When I had a fish with icht the salt and temp at 86 took care of it, when treating I keep in a small 10G hospital tank and that one has its own net, heater & filter. If the heat/salt doesn't work for you I wouldn't hesitate using medication (as per instructions).

Are you comfortable with how to do the salt & heat method?
Then only thing really that I would have to share would be my buckets, cups and API test tubes... I have three nets and I've not use any of them since the white spots showed up. The affected aquarium is a 10g and I put 6 teaspoons of salt and I'm going to get a heater today. I need to do a PWC so i add a teaspoon with every gallon right? I see that API makes something for ich and it helps replace the slime coat... IDK if it's necessary but I could get some. would you recommend it? Said it cures the white spots in 24 hours usually... Can I use that with the salt and high temp? I'm a newbie to treating ich so I wanna make sure I get rid of this junk... LOL Also, I'm not sure how to get rid of the ich without loosing a cycle. Its so frustrating cause I know people who just throw fish in right away and are not having near the problems I am Sorry for all the questions...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
Then only thing really that I would have to share would be my buckets, cups and API test tubes... I have three nets and I've not use any of them since the white spots showed up. The affected aquarium is a 10g and I put 6 teaspoons of salt and I'm going to get a heater today. I need to do a PWC so i add a teaspoon with every gallon right? I see that API makes something for ich and it helps replace the slime coat... IDK if it's necessary but I could get some. would you recommend it? Said it cures the white spots in 24 hours usually... Can I use that with the salt and high temp? I'm a newbie to treating ich so I wanna make sure I get rid of this junk... LOL Also, I'm not sure how to get rid of the ich without loosing a cycle. Its so frustrating cause I know people who just throw fish in right away and are not having near the problems I am Sorry for all the questions...
Be careful about mixing cures.

Like I said earlier, I use Quick Cure by Aquarium Products and it's been 100% effective for both cases I've dealt with (ick from a new fish, a plant). I do the normal dosing for 10 days, do PWC when needed and the ick has not returned.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't be sorry about the questions, that's the whole point of this website!

Well, like I said, with parasites if there is a share there is a way... that said I still haven't met somebody that keeps everything entirely separate. Minimize it if you can.

Yes, the recommendation on the amount of salt is 1 teaspoon per gallon, and if you replace water then just add the salt necessary for the water that is being replaced.

If you get the API treatment usually they will say something like no need to raise the aquarium temp, etc. I would recommend that you do one or the other, and if that doesn't work then switch. I have done the heat & salt in the past and its worked for me. I've signed up to the philosophy of using the least chemicals/meds as possible, but its not the only way to do it.

I don't think the heat&salt or the ich meds would affect the cycle, they're different types of organisms. Your cycle should continue its course, maybe sped up if you turn the temp up a bit, bacteria like it warmer. (dark, warm & moist is their favorite environment)

Problems do seem to compound sometimes, just follow the steps like youre doing, you'll power through it.

Tags
equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com