Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok good advice. I was worried about getting rid of the ich. Can't it get in you gravel and filters ? Lol idk

Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, it will get in the gravel and filters, specially the cysts. And actually I just found a good amount of information on this on wikipedia,

Ichthyophthirius multifiliis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and it says that filter media should be exchanged. I suppose it would be best when you no longer see signs of ich then do a good gravel cleaning and change the floss part of your filter, hopefully you have a separate sponge for bio media or another way to keep the bacteria healthy. Because both cleaning gravel thoroughly and replacing the filter media can set you back in terms of cycling, maybe when you're done you could 1st clean the gravel, wait a few days and then change the filter media.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenezlee View Post
Yes, it will get in the gravel and filters, specially the cysts. And actually I just found a good amount of information on this on wikipedia,

Ichthyophthirius multifiliis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and it says that filter media should be exchanged. I suppose it would be best when you no longer see signs of ich then do a good gravel cleaning and change the floss part of your filter, hopefully you have a separate sponge for bio media or another way to keep the bacteria healthy. Because both cleaning gravel thoroughly and replacing the filter media can set you back in terms of cycling, maybe when you're done you could 1st clean the gravel, wait a few days and then change the filter media.

alrightie thank you! I got the heater in and I think it's making the fish happy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wonder if they weren't sick whenever I got them? I've barley had them two weeks... got them from the same store I got guppies from that had mouth fungus.... Anywho I think they are enjoying the salt and the heater... they are more active and schooling better. I did have to do a PWC because ammo and nitrite are .25 but I added another filter ( thinking that'll help since i have pleco in there temp) and just did a 30% PWC so hopefully I can get those levels down... my poor fish! LOL I was thinking the PWCS might stress them but I figured it would be better than stress and injuries from the ammo and nitrites. I really appreciate all of y'alls help. It has helped me have some peace of mind. Im the kind of person who can't sleep if I think i'm hurting my fish... LOL
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

btw, test your tap. Last week I found myself also doing pwcs daily for .25 ammonia until I tested the tap water... it had .25 ammonia...

ya, they probably did have the icht when you got them. Glad to hear they're doing better
Old 05-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenezlee
Because both cleaning gravel thoroughly and replacing the filter media can set you back in terms of cycliing
Does vacuuming gravel actually take the nitrifyiers out of it, or is it because you are removing their food, I assumed they couldn't be sucked off nor die quick enough before bioload increased enough to keep em goin I've wondered this for over 10 years, another opinion would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
a, they probably did have the icht when you got them.
They for sure had ich, as it is a parasite that CAN NOT complete its lifecycle without host fish.

It is not caused by stress, as is commonly believed, and it can not lay dormant in your aquarium.

It is very common in fish from LFS and I've successfully treated it many times.

If using heat/salt to treat the fish for ich, it is very, very important to maintain the temperature to 86 or slightly higher, no less.

At 85 degrees, the lifecycle of ich only increases. At 86 and above, it kills it in its various lifestages.

Ich Attack by Kordon is an excellent cure, and can be used with heat and salt or by itself.

Read this AA link below to understand what ich is and how to kill it permanantly.

Freshwater Ich? Yuck!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker View Post
They for sure had ich, as it is a parasite that CAN NOT complete its lifecycle without host fish.

It is not caused by stress, as is commonly believed, and it can not lay dormant in your aquarium.

If using heat/salt to treat the fish for ich, it is very, very important to maintain the temperature to 86 or slightly higher, no less.

At 85 degrees, the lifecycle of ich only increases. At 86 and above, it kills it in its various lifestages.

Ich Attack by Kordon is an excellent cure, and can be used with heat and salt or by itself.

Read this AA link below to understand what ich is and how to kill it permanantly.

Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

My neons died whenever I raised the temp to 86
Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker View Post

Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

I've had them one week... I had guppies before that that I got from petsmart and they had mouth fungus like as soon as I got them with 24 hours... I treated the tank with melafix done a PWC and waited got a betta... long story... returned him bc something was wrong... i got these tetras from petsmart and within a week noticed the ich... i think i'm DONE with petsmart fish!!! I fill like a fish failure...
Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
I've had them one week... I had guppies before that that I got from petsmart and they had mouth fungus like as soon as I got them with 24 hours... I treated the tank with melafix done a PWC and waited got a betta... long story... returned him bc something was wrong... i got these tetras from petsmart and within a week noticed the ich... i think i'm DONE with petsmart fish!!! I fill like a fish failure...
I agree, you should find a good local mom & pop LFS for stock. I buy supplies and equipment from Petco/Petsmart/Walmart, but never any fish stock. I'd suggest taking them back and let the tank cycle with heat and salt while you find a LFS. My 2 best LFS are 20/30 miles away (Petco <1 mile) and they QT all new stock for 10 days minimum. I trust them enough that I'll acclimate and put new fish in without any QT (it's been done ). Never had a single issue to date.

You're not a fish failure, the fish you're getting at big box stores are failing you. That's on them, not you. So chin up and keep moving forward.

Tags
equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com